11 Former LIU gymnasts Come Forward With Stories of Abuse from Randy Lane/Olivia Courtney UPDATE: 8/24/24 Lane and Courtney removed from coaching post

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Reaction score
Posted on Syd Morris' Instagram. Just shameful.

Attachments

• syd-mor Large.jpeg
    syd-mor Large.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad they found the courage to speak up about this issue. I hope all of them (and the rest of the girls at LIU) get what they actually deserve instead of these coaches who should have never been coaches in the first place.

I am trying to make it through the write ups, but I am curious to hear thoughts from others. I agree that it sounds like a tough enviroment but I'm not sure it crosses the line into abusive. Some of the examples given honestly don't seem that bad. I do feel bad saying that... but getting in trouble for not bringing part of the uniform (shoes) seems understandable. I'm not saying this issue was handled in the best way but if I forget part of my work uniform there will be consequences.

Syd Morris
Talia Folino
Katy Koopman
Jules Rider
Izzy Hillard
Alana Ricketts
and 6 anonymous gymnasts

I didn't read through all the statements yet, but they all match up pretty much with mental and verbal abuse and toxic team culture.

I don't see Randy and Olivia continuing as coaches with all these gymnasts coming forward.

We all knew something was going on at LIU, but it seemed their were various factors.

So proud of these gymnasts for having the courage to come forward.

Such a shame Syd has decided to retire, as they would be an asset at a bunch of schools.

Wouldn't be surprised if LIU decided to pull the plug on the program completely. They still haven't built a gym near/on campus as promised. A 30 minute drive to the gym and then back to campus is not ideal.
Wonder if LIU will do this immediately or let an interim coaching team come in for this season and then collapse the team to allow the gymnasts a chance to compete, since it is way late for them to transfer.

Someone put it into a Google Doc
@RedBirdie

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back