Why did many female gymnasts perform wonderfully in Olympic team final, but fell in event final? (Li ShanShan, Cheng Fei, McKayla, Viktoria)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I am 99% certain that team finals was tape delayed. Typically, commentary was recorded AFTER the competition. Assuming that was the case, Elfie made a vicious, premeditated comment, just because.

I'm sure it was prerecorded as well... remember NBC already knew the outcome of the 96 WAG TF yet they milked that for all it was worth

This forever. The landing during the AA was truly horrific. Huge lunge forward. It stands out to me as just too big of a mistake for AA gold.
Not that I want to open this can of worms, but Miller was given gifts as well. I’ve always been of the mindset that they should have tied and Boguinskaya should have won the bronze.

Not that I want to open this can of worms, but Miller was given gifts as well. I’ve always been of the mindset that they should have tied and Boguinskaya should have won the bronze.
Miller would've won if she'd stuck that double pike on floor. If you wanted a big score doing the easier skills in 92, they had to be well controlled.

She was a beneficiary of the unofficial starting value over 10 as well. That's why she won beam in the AA. If they weren't factoring difficulty in, making sure not all 10 SVs were equal, she wouldn't have got 9.925 for a beam routine with two balance checks and beaten Boginskaya whose execution was better.

I've always had a degree sympathy for the judges in Barcelona. They had to operate in a context where the code had long become outdated, half a tenth was a lot and where they only really had two tenths max available to distinguish the routines of the best gymnasts form each other. It's not like you could even go just on vibes, because you'd also have to work out what the other judges were doing too. So 50% of the judges in the final gave Gutsu 10, and that's justifiable both as her best routine of the Games and in relation to some of the competition. But then what do you do with Li Lu, that level of extra content? If you think a routine is halfway between 9.95 and 9.9, you just have to take a punt and hope the other judges fall in. The difference between 9.912 and 9.937 was fairly significant then.

It's frankly miraculous that so many of the results were broadly fine. Even Gutsu's 9.925 on floor is understandable in a context where some routines were unofficially starting from above 10, had to really, due to difficulty. Her floor and beam, Miller's beam, Lysenko's DTY etc.
I can get behind a lot of that. Gutsu did go before Li Lu in the final (and not so early so that the judges needed to leave room, however stupid that concept is), however, and I think a 10 for both could have been warranted.

I think the worst judging came in compulsories. Yes, Grudneva went in the very first rotation, but I think a lot of people would agree that she had the very best compulsories in Barcelona. Regardless of when the athlete goes up, a judge should be competent to see that it likely won't be topped later in the competition.

These scores were especially egregious:

9.9!!! According to the judges, this was the very best compulsory beam routine of the day.

The Romanians are pretty lucky that the US pissed away the Silver on UB/BB, becuase they would have a great claim to the silver medal otherwise.

Miller would've won if she'd stuck that double pike on floor. If you wanted a big score doing the easier skills in 92, they had to be well controlled.

She was a beneficiary of the unofficial starting value over 10 as well. That's why she won beam in the AA. If they weren't factoring difficulty in, making sure not all 10 SVs were equal, she wouldn't have got 9.925 for a beam routine with two balance checks and beaten Boginskaya whose execution was better.
Agreed! I would say Shannon's biggest gift was on floor that day.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back