USA Post-Simone

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Hatsumomo

Defender
Reaction score
While nothing is definitive yet, we can't rely on the idea that Simone will be in LA. What would a Simone-less USA team look like and would they be able to still challenge for gold, if not be far and away the champions?

A healthy Shilese would be number one. I don't remember if Skye said she would go for 2028, but she'd be in the mix if she can keep her upgrades and NCAA helps with her consistency. A more confident and upgraded Hezly. I'm intrigued to see where Tiana Sumanasekera and Simone Rose will be.

What is Russia's status? Will we see them at Worlds next year?

The missing half of this discussion is probably Russia, no?
The bigger question mark than the US post Simone is when will Russia return to international competition and what will the team actually look like. How long will Melnikova hold on for? Listunova has been allowed time to recover from injuries, but I would not be surprised if it just doesn’t seem worth it for her. Kustova has officially retired, Urazova, Ilyankova and Minaeva unofficially. That leaves the age group that had little to no junior career due to the pandemic, and no senior international experience due to the ban.

The bigger question mark than the US post Simone is when will Russia return to international competition and what will the team actually look like. How long will Melnikova hold on for? Listunova has been allowed time to recover from injuries, but I would not be surprised if it just doesn’t seem worth it for her. Kustova has officially retired, Urazova, Ilyankova and Minaeva unofficially. That leaves the age group that had little to no junior career due to the pandemic, and no senior international experience due to the ban.
This is a whole conversation on its own. I didn't even think about the fact that Russia's up-and-coming has basically been training with no chance of payoff. If Russia does get to return, what's the plan for them?

This is a whole conversation on its own. I didn't even think about the fact that Russia's up-and-coming has basically been training with no chance of payoff. If Russia does get to return, what's the plan for them?
Other countries will want them, particularly Azerbaijan. Kristina Pravdina is head of their WAG programme

It’s a shame about Russia. I really liked Listunova and Urasova.
I wanted to like them but they just seemed like injuries waiting to happen. Never very...sturdy. (of course the only generally major injury-free top olympic level gymnasts I can think of off the top of my head are Simone, Jade, and Mykayla. Maybe Suni since her issues weren't injury. So, I guess they weren't outliers.)

Clare Pease looks like another potential heartbreaker--good basics, looks fragile.

I can think of a few juniors who went right to L10 after looking good for one year, it would be interesting to see if any of them made a post-college return.

I am going to have to train myself to dial my expectations of gymnasts down--not every quad (or even any of them) is going to have the next Simone Biles in it. Really, props to Shilese Jones and Rebeca Andrade for keeping it kinda close.

(of course the only generally major injury-free top olympic level gymnasts I can think of off the top of my head are Simone, Jade, and Mykayla. Maybe Suni since her issues weren't injury. So, I guess they weren't outliers.)
Aly Raisman and Shawn Johnson

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back