Tom Forster resigns

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

When I saw a post on Facebook the other day announcing that Wendy Bruce had been selected as the head of the National Team, I was surprised.

I started reading the comments. And I even texted a friend to say “Hmmm… How will she do and will people hate her performance no matter what she does?”

Then I read carefully. Because I sometimes read too quickly.

Leader of the Swiss team, not the American team!

Last edited:
I think Tony Retrosi is also coaching the Swiss team now.

This might be reading into the tea leaves too much, but OMFG if true.
If Dan Baker’s gym is being used, he is not in contention for the High Performance Director. It is a direct conflict of interests.
Right after it was decided that the Ranch was out, Valerie offered WOGA as site for the camps and selection meets.
He was told that it was a conflict of interests.

Dan is still coordinator of elite development.

Interesting choice to have Jesolo as the only international meet and no meets with FIG judging before worlds.

It’s possible the switch to Texas is because of covid restrictions/capacity limits in Indiana.

There’s a women’s national team camp January 24-27. Unless that’s been cancelled since the updated calendar was published 12/7.

I personally love Morgan. My DD is a huge fan and has been for years. But in reality, all of these ladies have been in the sport long enough to know how it works. You want to be at Trials? You be undeniable. Thats what it takes. Winning. Hitting. Being so good that it is not a question. Sadly due to many factors, that didn’t work out for her. But come on, how could she NOT understand that? I can’t understand why any of these women, these National Team Members would have needed to have this spelled out for them. Want to make the team? Win.

Generally, yes, show up ready if you want to advance is the key, but there were people brought to trials who had no chance at the team. Amari Drayton and Ava Siegfeldt were never going to be in the conversation but were still invited. Having 18 people compete vs 17 (especially if the 18th is only doing one or two events) doesn’t really add to the length of the competition and it would have given the crowd another familiar face to cheer for.

(I would also support any former national team gymnast getting to do an exhibition routine while everyone waits for the verdict. It would be a lot more interesting than listening to the announcers speculate for half an hour. Or if Simone wants to show up to all future trials and do standing back layouts while the committee deliberates, I am all for it.)

I personally love Morgan. My DD is a huge fan and has been for years. But in reality, all of these ladies have been in the sport long enough to know how it works. You want to be at Trials? You be undeniable. Thats what it takes. Winning. Hitting. Being so good that it is not a question. Sadly due to many factors, that didn’t work out for her. But come on, how could she NOT understand that? I can’t understand why any of these women, these National Team Members would have needed to have this spelled out for them. Want to make the team? Win.
Everyone is agreeing that Hurd didn’t have the performance that she needed to make it to Trials.
That is not where the issue is. The problem was Tom’s response on why she was not invited to Trials. He gave an excuse: (she didn’t finish Top 3 on an event). If that was specific criteria set by Tom then Hurd should have been informed. This goes against USAG’s criteria established previously.
. Athletes may qualify to the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Women’s
Gymnastics, through the following methods:
• The top eight (8) athletes in the combined All Around rank order at
the 2020 U.S. Women’s Gymnastics Championships will qualify to the
2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Women’s Gymnastics.
• Based on their ability to be competitive (as outlined in Section 2.2)
for a slot on the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team, the Athlete Selection
Committee may add additional athletes from among those athletes
who competed in the 2020 U.S. Women’s Gymnastics Championships
or petitioned athletes (see 1.4.) to attend the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team
Trials – Women’s Gymnastics.
It specifically states “ability to be competitive for a slot on the US Olympic Team”.

Why was Zoe Miller, Addison Fatta, Ava Siegfeldt invited to Trials? None of these 3 had any chance at making the team, what made them more competitive for the team over Hurd, a 5x World medalist?
None of these 3 athletes were ever going to be top 3 on any event. How is Hurd being held to those expectations but not these three?

The only set in stone stipulation is top 8 in AA rank go to Trials:
Biles, Lee, Chiles, Malabuyo, Wong, Carey, McCallum, Blakely

If “top 3 on an event” was one of Tom’s expectations, here is who else qualified: Skinner (2nd VT), McCusker (2nd UB), DiCello (2nd FX)

So why were the rest invited?

All Tom had to do was state that the routines that Morgan performed did not demonstrate that in her current situation (coming back from injury) that she was not in competitive shape to make the Olympic Team. That stays in line with USAG criteria.

Tom and USAG could have invited Hurd to Trials to compete one last time but also give her a few more weeks of training.
They didn’t have to though and the decision is justifiable and correct. But Tom once again mucked up an interview and went off script. This was not the only time that he made up stuff on the spot for interviews only to have USAG go “Yeah. No Tom that isn’t the case.”

The constant conflict between Tom and the higher ups was unacceptable. It just made him look incapable and not qualified for his role.

Yes, the unwillingness to be honest and own the decision made Tom look awful there.

True, it’s clear that gymnasts advanced to Trials who didn’t have any realistic chance of representing the US at the Olympics (worlds is a different story). But even in that context it would’ve been reasonable to say that Morgan’s performance clearly indicated she wasn’t going to be sufficiently recovered from surgery and ready by Tokyo, which put her in a different position to lower ranked AA qualifiers. Addison Fatta et al weren’t five minutes post elbow surgery. It would also have been fine to allow Morgan’s petition on the basis of her prior achievements. Either of those would’ve been legitimate, and could have been convincingly argued by anyone half sensible. But instead he managed to find a ridiculous third option.

Absolutely.

Giving newer seniors like Drayton, Fatta, Miller, and Siegfeldt some experience made sense and traditionally that is what USAG/ Bela/ Marta had done in the past.

But if the criteria states “competitive to make the Olympic Team” and these four clearly weren’t, why not invite Hurd and Finnegan, who would have gotten the invite if not for that horrific, multiple falls day 1 (49.00 AA).
Finnegan had two vaults previously and had shown she could get the job done on FX as well. She had experience internationally with Gymnix and Pan Am Games. Plus, she had just finished 5th AA at the US Classic just a few weeks earlier. Finnegan not receiving an invite was more mind boggling than Hurd IMO.

If USAG wants transparency and for athletes to feel empowered and that their federation is behind them, this vague criteria does no favors. We knew a few extra athletes would go but I know I was not the only one surprised at #15, #16, #17 AA getting invited. If the invitations are based on performance at Nationals…then state that in the criteria. Because based on her US Classic performance, Finnegan really should have been invited.

Let’s see what the next OT criteria is for the athletes. Still like rank order from Nationals. Maybe go back to top 12. THEN further criteria such as performance from a World Cup or Winter Cup (if these stick around) or US Classic.
I think specific AA score, 3 event score, 2 event score, and 1 event score should be clarified.
This way a gymnast knows what the standard is so if they are limited due to injury or recovering from injury, there is a benchmark that is clear that they need to meet. If gymnast A scored 56.9 AA at US Classic and that is above AA benchmark, but are slightly injured, they should be able to use that score to qualify to Trials and either withdraw or limit themselves at Nationals. Which is exactly what Jade Carey did, since she was already qualified to the Olympics. Then we saw a peak Jade Carey in Tokyo.

Had Tom said Hurd needed to be top 3 on an event to make Trials, there is no doubt that Hurd would have just done BB and skipped floor to focus on that 1 event at Nationals. Or if it was not possible, she could have withdrawn from the process completely saving her body for the tour and college.
McCusker only did UB and was invited (but was also ranked 2nd).

Last edited:
Yeah Finnegan should probably have been there too. Honestly I’d have taken as large a field as possible to Trials in the hope some of them would stick around for worlds.

Also… I really don’t understand how the petition process is not eligible for those that complete the AA.
Finnegan could not petition, but McCusker, Hurd, Memmel, could based on not doing the AA at Nationals.
Finnegan had that poor day 1 and should have withdrawn and petitioned because she likely would have been invited. Instead she had a solid day 2 (scoring higher Day 2 than 6 athletes that finished above her did on either day of competition).

There should be a petition where “hey I had a horrific meet can I use previous results to show that was a one off?”

Yeah Finnegan should probably have been there too. Honestly I’d have taken as large a field as possible to Trials in the hope some of them would stick around for worlds.
I think that was the thinking behind taking the top 17. But of that “lower tier,” only Fatta ended up going for worlds and she got hurt days before selection camp. They had to invite four gymnasts who didn’t qualify to Trials–2 who didn’t even compete at nationals!–just to have enough gymnasts to even pick a team. (I will grant that Greaves had a great showing at the March camp to make the national team and only missed nationals because of injury)

I’m actually very curious why all those gymnasts didn’t attend selection camp. Injuries are always a possibility, but every single one of them was injured?

The problem was Tom’s response on why she was not invited to Trials. He gave an excuse: (she didn’t finish Top 3 on an event).
He should have just said nothing.

It was clear why Morgan didn’t advance to Trials.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back