The Dark Side of Fandom

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

You stated in a few posts up that Dunne was creating a sexually suggestive environment.

It comes across as ****-shaming.

Jay Clark comments
Nice.

So instead of addressing the negative behavior of this particular group of individuals, he is essentially passing blame on over to Sam Peszek for sharing the video of the group to social media.

Given it is Jay Clark I am not surprised.

I disagree that Dunne’s behavior is emboldening misogyny or douchebaggery. A lot of stuff in higher education and sports emboldens misogyny. And I blame that instead of blaming Dunne’s cleavage shots on Instagram.

The difference is Trump told them to.
Livvy never said anything even close to “please show up and act skeevy.”

It sincerely is not my intent to “****-shame”, and I have continually said that it is not Dunne’s fault, but how can we have a productive conversation about this culture and all complexities and negatives and positives without immediately being labeled a **** shamer or misogynist? Otherwise, we will be doomed to continue having the same conversations.

40.png
MaryClare:
Jay Clark comments
Nice.

So instead of addressing the negative behavior of this particular group of individuals, he is essentially passing blame on over to Sam Peszek for sharing the video of the group to social media.

Given it is Jay Clark I am not surprised.
“We live in a world where you don’t know who’s going to get into that crowd. I remember Monica Seles signing autographs thinking she was doing something completely innocent, and a guy pulls out a knife. So, you don’t want to live in fear, but you’ve got to make sure we take precautions,” said Clark.

Jay doesn’t even remember that Monica Seles wasn’t even “signing autographs” - she was stabbed in the back in the middle of of a match during an end change.

It is a potentially scary and dangerous situation for the female athletes, including Olivia, and Jay should stop blaming the messenger for publicizing the behaviour and instead start taking action to clamp down on it. I’m sure in this day and age it would not be hard to identify many of these guys - probably a lot are following Olivia’s social media right now

Arena security better get pumped up. This isn’t going to go away.

LSU hired a security guy to travel and help control crowds

At least one parent of a level 10 gymnast is worried.

Last edited:
This is my point of view too. Should women be able to walk down the street at 3 am alone and be safe. Yes absolutely. Am I going to tell my daughters to do that and check it out? Absolutely not. It is about advocating for change while staying safe.

Just because you wouldn’t advocate for it doesn’t mean that those who do it, to use horrible terms (and trigger warning, stop here if you think the following will be problematic), “asked for it” or “deserve what they get” or “caused the abuse” or whatever similar term you’d like to insert here. If there is wrongdoing, it is always ultimately the fault of the individual doing it.

I am so out of it right now that I had NO CLUE that Olivia Dunne was famous, let alone that this had happened. Wow. That horde of creepy boys was bizarre. It reminds me of lunatic fans of pop stars.

Last edited:
Reactions: One
She did an athletic wear commercial that I’ve seen (she was…not great speaking on camera) but other than that, i think it is all social media based so if you don’t follow that, it would be easy to miss.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back