Shilese Going For 2028!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

ACL and Achilles' have been the theme
They are doing things the human body wasn't really optimized for--it isn't surprising that parts protest once in awhile. At least an ACL isn't necessarily an immediately career-ending injury as it might have been in the past.

It's like baseball pitchers and UCL elbow injuries. The body wasn't made to handle those forces for years on end.

If there's a silver lining to this injury at all, it is that she has no reason to rush back. She can get the knee and shoulder fixed up, rehab both properly and fully, and come back when her body is ready. I'm so glad to hear she is going for it. She's awesome and I look forward to seeing more from her in the next quad.

If there's a silver lining to this injury at all, it is that she has no reason to rush back. She can get the knee and shoulder fixed up, rehab both properly and fully, and come back when her body is ready. I'm so glad to hear she is going for it. She's awesome and I look forward to seeing more from her in the next quad.
Agreed, she is one of my all time favorite gymnasts with that unique combination of elegance and quiet power. I've nearly gotten over the fact that she's not in Paris. That said, I hope to not see her compete until 2026 or even 2027. I hope she finds the the right balance of taking the time to heal and not return to competition too early or too late to be ready for LA'28..

I very much interpreted that interview as a clear indication that Sacramone strongly implied that Shilese wasn't going to be considered doing just bars on day 2, and therefore did as much as possible to spare her from competing (shy of inventing a new selection procedure, which they seemed quite circumspect in avoiding).

While we're on that topic... if I were in charge, I'd have made the ~controversial~ choice of bringing Shilese as a one-event gymnast had she competed and scored similarly on bars on day 2. The justification? 1) She's on the highest scoring team, adding 5-6 tenths over Chiles and 2) Her injury isn't really any my business if she's able to get the score on bars. Jordan can push her wheelchair over to for all I care. ;)

Anyway the mental fortitude is incredible and I would be so on board to root hard for her 2028 dream. That might be something I need to see in person too.
The team not using Rivera in TF shows that bringing Jones just for bars (rather than Rivera) would have been at least a few tenths boost for the team score.

I want Shilese to take ample amount of time to fully heal and then work on upgrades. Then come back in 2026 to go for Worlds and then that way she's not at that weird post-Olympic Worlds.

I was initially disappointed that she decided not to compete NCAA (I mean, not that anyone was really expecting her to go to Florida at this point) but now I think it's smart. She won't feel a need to worry about rushing recovery to contribute for her team, figuring out redshirt/late college entry years, rebuilding elite difficulty, etc.

She could end up being the star of LA. It might lead to lots of other opportunities too. I’m glad she’s sticking around.

Ok who has seen the Shi beam mount video? It's being posted like it's new, but how the F is that possible with torn ACL and meniscus? I keep hoping to hear it's old, but no comment. Anyone have any insight?

It looks like more than one gymnast who is currently injured has recently posted training vids that I assume were from the spring

I haven’t read about any shoulder surgery so maybe it felt better with a break for her ACL. Or she wants to rehab her knee then have her shoulder done. She’s not living out loud on social media.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back