Romania Gymnastics thread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Li Shanshan had an enormous difficulty advantage. She had seven tenths over Nastia!

I think it’s alright. The split half hits 180 degree.
Agree. She has definitely improved in her dance and leaps. Sabrina still has execution issues with her form. She does a “layout” full, which is impressive, but it is not fully laid out, has some pike down, and of course with execution deductions. But I am comparing all layout fulls on beam to Kui Yuanyuan though, so there is that.

Li Shanshan had an enormous difficulty advantage. She had seven tenths over Nastia!
She could have easily been the 2007 World champ and 2008 Olympic champion beam, she just needed not to fall.

China had a few gymnasts who could’ve won beam in 2008. Li Shanshan was picked primarily for political reasons, though she was probably the best in the world on BB if everyone hit. But she was a one-eventer

The WTC’s really weird obsession with pauses has done a ton of damage to the event. It’s fucking ridiculous that Simone won beam at worlds in 2014 because Bai Yawen had too many two second pauses. It’s only gotten worse since then.

We should not be prioritizing an arbitrary idea of rhythm over posture, carriage, and extension.

I think a pause, more than any other type of error, warrants a -0.05 deduction. Because ideally the exercise is one continuous movement.

Omelianchik here has two debatable pauses after the conclusion of her mount and later her free walkover. She holds them with confidence, but nowadays this would probably warrant a deduction. However, her acro series – which was highly competitive at the time – is done without a pause. The routine is entirely fluid, and the WTC is right to strive for this…though I wish Bai Yawen had won that gold

I’d like to see pauses be deducted -0.05. Or at the very least, permit a pause before the dismount and then one additional pause throughout the exercise

edit: funnily enough I just stumbled across a video of Omelianchik’s induction into the Gymnastics Hall of Fame, and she mentions how her dissertation was on balance beam composition

Last edited:
Rhythm historically is very important for beam. This is not arbitrary.

In 1970 Code of Point, P31

A slow, monotonous exercise with stops before each element of difficulty, enormously facilitates the execution and consequently lessens the value of the exercise.

Therefore, an exercise (without rhythm) is less lively, less spectacular, even if the degree of difficulty is sufficient and if the execution is good.

The rhythm must be varied, sometimes alive, sometimes slow, but predominately dynamic and above all uninterrupted.
The code of point now extends from these lines.
The rhythm and tempo (speed/pace) must be varied, sometimes lively, sometimes slow, but predominately dynamic and above all uninterrupted.
The transition between the movements and elements should be smooth and fluent:
without unnecessary stops
or
prolonged preparatory movements before elements

The exercise should not be a series of disconnected elements.

yeah agree on bai yawen, that still hurts. Pretty much all her deductions where pause deductions and dismount, she was a gorgeous bb worker.

If she’d won 2014 EF, that would’ve been the first time a World Champion had been passed over on her event for the team final of the same meet. Instead, we had to wait until last year for it to happen! (also on beam)

Obvious caveat that we haven’t seen anything other than the scores, but nothing there is changing my thoughts that they will probably be competing for individual spots in Paris.

Cosman having the top AA score is new. And who gets to do AA at Worlds really matters if they aren’t going to qualify as a team.

Cosman having the top AA score is new. And who gets to do AA at Worlds really matters if they aren’t going to qualify as a team.
I think Romania will not qualify a full team to Paris, but I think they will finish 13th-15th and get the two non-nominative spots to Paris, so no one would qualify via AA, but they could get someone in with an event finals finish, potentially Voinea.

Agreed about them having a good chance of finishing 13th-15th and getting one of the apparatus spots, but a couple of things about the qualification system.

Only one spot is non-nominative. They’d still get a nominative place via the AA standings. (I think it’s a reasonable assumption that whoever finishes 13th-15th will have an AA qualifier). And Voinea doesn’t actually need to get to a final - the rules this time round say the apparatus places go to the apparatus qualifying standings if needed.

Only one spot is non-nominative. They’d still get a nominative place via the AA standings.
I thought that teams ranked 13-15th got two non- nominative spots (and AA standings don’t count for them). I guess that was changed to one non-nominative when it was finalized.

Also Voinea has a 6.6/6.7 beam D score, so I anticipate her at least making finals there. I think she has the best chance to be ranked the highest on that event when you consider that is the event most likely to be dominated by already qualified teams or individuals.

Last edited:
That beam routine feels like a case of I’ll believe it when I see it in competition. If she hits it then that probably will be a final and the Olympic spot though. Based on what we saw earlier this year I think floor looked like a safer bet for her to get to Paris even if not the Worlds final.

For me it seems like one of the biggest problems with Romania is their technique has still not improved as a whole since the 90’s while the coaching situation continues to be unstable. Previously they could get away with this quickly bring one up, win, break, bring up the next batch. But now there’s no stability, no success, and looks like a lack of interest. There are some gymnasts with solid technique but the majority rush everything. And bars is always a disaster. Ceplinschi was previously their brightest spot this quad but after years of jamming and whipping herself through her floor skills, it seems like her ankles gave out and she’s not been able to really do much since.

Mara Ceplinschi (ROU) 2021 Worlds EF FX [720p50] - YouTube

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back