REWIND: Week Two 01/10 : 2004 European Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I know it didn't quite come off in EF, but I love Alona Kvasha's first tumbling run from a forward whip at 1 hr 47 minutes. It looks even better with the deep landing, even if that's not good form officially. It's as if she's been fired from a catapult and sticks the landing by sheer force of will. Must watch more of her!

Good Lord! I remember following quick hits on GymWorld (yes, that GymWorld), but I've never seen any footage from this competition. Here are some quick comments after my initial viewing:

1. Zamolodchikova is almost unwatchable.
  2. Sofronie was the only Romanian I liked in Athens. This meet affirmed why.
  3. I disliked Ponor's gymnastics back then. I dislike it even more now
  4. Kozich and Krasnynska were delightful. After this meet, I thought Kozich would have a much greater impact in Athens, but it wasn't to be.
  5. Beth Tweddle's UB is so much fun to watch.

Kovich was the third best AA at Athens - sadly that result came in Teams final, where she got Ukraine within a point of bronze.

She was the highest scoring of all AAers in the Teams final. It's such a shame she fell on beam in AA final. She would have got bronze with her Team score.

Qualification results really are hard to find quickly. It wouldn't surprise me re VT EF. In Beth's retirement tribute video Amanda talked about how she was European VT EF worthy. She had a FTT and a piked barani at 2002 CWG so 1.5Y and FTT would probably have made Euros VT EF in 2005.

I've never seen her touch warm up UB fall from the AA final in Debrecan. I don't know if footage even exists. I have memories of following quick hits and people saying it was really scary and they weren't sure if she was moving.

This.
Guessing it would've been the Omelianchik and Yurchenko 1.5, as she was doing that combo in late 04 at the Glasgow Grand Prix.

Seems Beth is another one to have competed all four vault entries at some point then. I doubt she was ever going to excel at beam, but maybe she could've been a three event threat if she'd been healthier.

@phoenix7 I too love the layout front to tucked double front combo. The Ukrainians had some fabulous double fronts for a period.

That is a lovely DTY from Monica Rosu in EF. What a shame she didn't continue after 2004.

She had an extraordinarily efficient career:

WC 2003 4th vault, 2nd team.
EC 2004 1st vault, 1st team
Oly 2004 1st vault, 1st team

2005 retired aged 17.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back