Positive Press (No Pun Intended)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Any press for gymnastics is positive press!!!

I was being a Debbie Downer with my response. But at the same time, I think it is nice that the 4 year fans and general public are also supporting the rest of the team. I also wonder if Simone Biles being in the news all of the time makes some of the 4 year fans annoyed by her for always getting the spotlight.

There are those people that have to find something to say and I kind of agree. Yes Simone is the GOAT but also she has 5 other teammates.

Simone doesn’t win the team gold medal, she is one of four that will win.

I get that Simone is going to get a lot more press and attention than other gymnasts, and that’s both fine and understandable to a point. This is slightly off topic, but I think that as a strong, well-spoken woman she is an incredible ambassador for the sport, probably better than either the FIG or USAG deserve, haha. I’m happy to see her get lots of attention, both for her sheer talent and for the healthier image (?) of gymnastics that she represents. But when she’s literally there with her whole team and the headline is “heeeere’s Simone!”, well, that’s a bit much. It’s totally not her fault but it’s pretty cringy.

I do not see how. I mean there is no false statement purporting to be a fact and she for sure could not show damages from some nonsense like this. So no defamation suit. Sleazy but not actionable. And probably no use of her image without permission for commercial purpose either because it would fir a news or public interest exception.

I mean there is no false statement purporting to be a fact
Isn’t the quote “THEY FORCED ME TO” right under a picture of Aly, and a needle and syringe, kinda a false statement purporting to be a fact?

That was the dumbest video ever.

Isn’t the quote “THEY FORCED ME TO” right under a picture of Aly, and a needle and syringe, kinda a false statement purporting to be a fact?
No. It is not. I mean I guess you could try to weave an “implied defamation” thing out of this but its weak. And again, defamation is one of those rare causes of action where damages are part of the prima facie case. And believe me she has none from this, as rlayt says “dumbest video ever.”

Last edited:
well, there is no direct statement that “Aly said they forced me to take drugs.” So you would have to make a showing of implied defamation. And thats tricky, depending on the jurisdiction. In most places i think you would have to show that they intended a defamatory implication and that a reasonable man would understand it that way. So lots of evidence could come in that they were merely showing Aly’s face as a known gymnast. And is it defamatory to say someone was 'forced" to do something against their will? So . . . .possible but weak.

I mean - it’s a quote almost coming out of her mouth lol!

My first view of it was that Aly had said those words next to a needle and steroids! Then reality of my actual gymnastics knowledge kicked in lol.

But the average YouTube watcher doesn’t have my level of gymnastics knowledge. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to argue that the thumbnail implies that Aly said those words. Surely?!

Does this mean I can sell a Tshirt with your face on it with a quote under it saying “I love the Nazi’s” and a big swastika next to it? Then go walk around Times Square selling it. And you couldn’t stop me?

ETA sorry for the total derailment!!!

Did anyone figure out who tested positive?

Last edited:
Reactions: MRR
Does this mean I can sell a Tshirt with your face on it with a quote under it saying “I love the Nazi’s” and a big swastika next to it? Then go walk around Times Square selling it. And you couldn’t stop me?
No you could not. But that would be a totally different cause of action. Using my name and likeness without my permission for commercial purposes. In NY thats a strong cause of action.

So Aly could sue for that?
If someone did it, yeah. In NY anyway. I have actually done a slew of those cases over the years. NY Civil Rights Law §§ 50 & 51

So throw those damned tee shirts out!!!

Ha but isn’t using alys face and likeness on a YouTube video next to a false quote and a needle, analogous to me selling the nazi tshirt with your face on it?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back