Participation 2025 Worlds Jakarta

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It’s so weird to have a governing body like the FIG that hates the sport they are in charge of
Figure skating has a governing body that hates them too. It's terrible. Like whoever's in charge of USA figure skating hates the sport, too. There were some sketchy rules about music usage announced recently.

What are the sketchy music rules?

Basically why I'm not sure why gymnastics (both artistic and rhythmic) and artistic swimming have no issues. This all stemmed because of Knierim and Frazier using music from a band that didn't want their music streamed on Peacock during the 2022 Olympics. No other country has these issues.

Basically why I'm not sure why gymnastics (both artistic and rhythmic) and artistic swimming have no issues. This all stemmed because of Knierim and Frazier using music from a band that didn't want their music streamed on Peacock during the 2022 Olympics. No other country has these issues.
Other countries do. You need to ensure you have the right to use the music in any country o you are going to perform in or that it’s broadcast in

Other countries do. You need to ensure you have the right to use the music in any country o you are going to perform in or that it’s broadcast in
Then why don't other countries have issues? That's what I mean by USFSA hating the sport. Where is their money going if they can't afford a license to take care of these issues? Russian competitions stream for free, in a matter of fact. It's frustrating.

Then why don't other countries have issues? That's what I mean by USFSA hating the sport. Where is their money going if they can't afford a license to take care of these issues? Russian competitions stream for free, in a matter of fact. It's frustrating.
In other countries, athletes are individually responsible for ensuring they have the right to use their music.

Melnikova cried because she wasn’t able to use a piece of music, because she loved the routine so much. But she couldn’t afford the rights that the artist demanding and the RGF wasn’t willing to pay

In other countries, athletes are individually responsible for ensuring they have the right to use their music.

Melnikova cried because she wasn’t able to use a piece of music, because she loved the routine so much. But she couldn’t afford the rights that the artist demanding and the RGF wasn’t willing to pay
That's wild to me. How does that work at the junior/novice levels?

You use music that has free licence, or you just chance it because it’s unlikely to be an issue at that level
Sometimes, I think figure skating never should have allowed music with lyrics because as a school librarian, I know how music licensing works. I just don't know why figure skating can't do whatever gymnastics has done in the US. I'm pretty sure it can't possibly be that expensive because schools can easily get licenses to show movies and stuff.

Sometimes, I think figure skating never should have allowed music with lyrics because as a school librarian, I know how music licensing works. I just don't know why figure skating can't do whatever gymnastics has done in the US. I'm pretty sure it can't possibly be that expensive because schools can easily get licenses to show movies and stuff.
Educational licence completely different than use in professional sport in front of a paying audience.

Educational licence completely different than use in professional sport in front of a paying audience.
Yeah, I understand that, but as I said then the best comparison is gymnastics. USAG is able to post full floor routines on YouTube, but USFSA is not able to do the same. And NBC Sports actively pulls featured programs down eventually, while Olympics can keep them up.

I wonder if audience numbers will be down with the limited participation, even more than usual in a post-olympics worlds? (though how does it work in the Muslim majority countries when the women's leotards have to be considered immodest? Are women allowed to attend the women's events and men aren't?)

Very possible. Out of my group of gym fans who’ve been to almost every worlds since 2015 (Doha and Kitakyushu were the exceptions), no one is considering going except me.

I wonder if audience numbers will be down with the limited participation, even more than usual in a post-olympics worlds? (though how does it work in the Muslim majority countries when the women's leotards have to be considered immodest? Are women allowed to attend the women's events and men aren't?)
Wow, ok. There are no difference to attending worlds in any other country.

People who went to Doha said it wasn’t all that different. Minor things mostly.

Wow, ok. There are no difference to attending worlds in any other country.
Dude, it was just a question, no need for the extra attitude. It isn't my religion so I don't know the ins and outs of what is allowed.

People who went to Doha said it wasn’t all that different. Minor things mostly.
Indonesia is a lot different from Qatar. In Qatar and the Middle East, the main difference is stadiums don’t sell alcohol

Dude, it was just a question, no need for the extra attitude. It isn't my religion so I don't know the ins and outs of what is allowed.
No attitude, just genuine shock that someone would think that entrance to the gymnastics world championships might be segregated or restricted according to gender. Especially since Muslim majority countries host a number of World Cup events every year. Cairo, Baku, Doha

No attitude, just genuine shock that someone would think that entrance to the gymnastics world championships might be segregated or restricted according to gender. Especially since Muslim majority countries host a number of World Cup events every year. Cairo, Baku, Doha
Well, there are some countries in the world where women aren't allowed to go to school, so I wasn't going to assume. But thanks for sharing your knowledge, I'm always happy to learn.

Well, there are some countries in the world where women aren't allowed to go to school, so I wasn't going to assume. But thanks for sharing your knowledge, I'm always happy to learn.
Sure. But these places aren’t hosting sporting events that include women.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back