Olympic Draw and Discussion

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Why are the WAG USA and the Netherland always in the same sub? 😂 2015, 2016, 2019, 2021…. Why are the Dutch men always in the first sub?

2019 USA and Netherlands were not in the same subdivision.

USA was in the 12th and final subdivision with Brazil.

Netherlands went earlier but I forgot who they rotated with.

But that is funny 2015, 2016, 2021

Really, it is stuck in my head that it was the case in 2019 as well 😂 don’t know why but my head is a weird thing anyway 😜

I wish they would just let event finalists compete in reverse order of qualification. I think it would be more exciting that way.

Yeah it was definitely Brazil and USA together in the final subdivision because we were comparing Brazil to Spain who was in 11th at that point, with USA obviously going to take the top spot. Hungary and Switzerland were in subdivision 11 and we were closely watching those scores to see if they would knock out Japan who was in 10th and Hungary, Brazil. and the US were still left. We assumed Brazil and US would pass Japan and Hungary looked poised to beat Japan after the first rotation with strong bars and finishing on high scoring vault. But then all 4 gymnasts from Hungary fell off beam and it was over for them.

The worst draw I’ve ever seen was at 09 worlds. He Kexin was a million miles ahead of everyone in the bars final, and helpfully neither Tweddle nor Huang Qiushuang was even in the final. She was near enough a point ahead. And the draw had He Kexin up first. It was so anti-climatic. They should’ve just fiddled it and put her up last.

Marcia Frederick might disagree with you. She was leading the 1978 UB following compulsories and optionals, which had never happened for a US woman before. She had to go up first in bars finals which typically meant a lower score. But she nailed her set for a 9.950 which all but sealed the first ever gold for the American women. Mukhina needed a 9.975 to overtake her and wit a slight blip got 9.900 securing the gold for Marcia, the first female World Champion from the United States, which often goes under recognized.

I’m bored as batshit at the moment, so going to tinkle with the time conversion table I did to add in subdivision times and who is competing when. I’ll create the new one but leave the other one for who ever wants to look at it. Not sure how useful it is for others, but I’m having fun 🙂

Anyone with timezone issues is more than welcome to make their way over to Australia and camp out in my spare room. Time zones are sweet for me (for once)!

I’m having surgery Friday and it was rather serendipitous in its scheduling because I will also be out of work for a week which means I get to watch almost all the competitions live. I think I’ll miss WAG AA due to work, but unless some real fuckshit happens, we know the outcome.

Ting Hua-tien is in MG1 and she starts on her best event which is great for her. Her coach said that they were working up to a 6.2 D-score on beam and hoping to get her into finals. I mentioned in another thread that she’s Taiwan’s first WAG to qualify to the Olympics since 1968 and she’s already become a minor celebrity.

Best wishes for the surgery.

I’m in a 14-day quarantine in my bedroom since I crossed state borders. I couldn’t watch any of 2016 live because it was in the middle of the night, in the middle of my final high school exams. Now that the Games are almost in my time zone and I have absolutely nothing better to do (except write my thesis, I guess), you bet I will be watching all of it! 😃

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back