New roster limits

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

nog

Reaction score
I’m hearing along with other changes (like all spots to be offered some form of financial benefit, no straight walk one anymore) that where will be roster limits instituted. Anyone heard if roster limits start ‘25 season or ‘26? And if it for sure be a 20 person team limit?

The way I read it, when they speak of "roster limits" that actually means the number of scholarships. Sounds like every sport will be getting more scholarship spots. I know baseball is in line for a massive increase. I think football is going from 85 to 105.

I also heard that NCAA will do away with "headcount" vs. "equivalent" scholarships. I'm unclear if that means now all sports are headcount sports (ex: no matter how much a scholarship covers, partial or all, it counts as 1 scholarship), or if it means, say, 15 gymnastics scholarships means a school can divvy up 15xfull scholarship among as many athletes as they want.

What I’ve been being told is that everyone on roster gets money (no more walk ons in every sport) and that every team has a roster limit. Football will be capped at 105 members (no more on roster period) and that gymnastics will be 20. This is coming from college coaches I know

What I’ve been being told is that everyone on roster gets money (no more walk ons in every sport) and that every team has a roster limit. Football will be capped at 105 members (no more on roster period) and that gymnastics will be 20. This is coming from college coaches I know
Well, that should limit the NIL-paid gymnasts that were starting to pad out rich teams rosters, right?

Most of what has been said is consistent with what I am hearing although other than football, basketball and baseball, I don't think other sports have been officially announced by NCAA. But remember, just because NCAA will allow 20 scholarships it doesn't mean that all programs will support 20 spots. The settlement will definitely impact programs unevenly. The Big10 and SEC teams should be able to absorb the additional expenses but after that it will prove challenging. Also, NIL is not going away, so it will still be a factor here.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back