New Elise Ray allegations

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

No Elise Ray stated herself that they were leaving Seattle because of her small children and wishing to be closer to family.
“It is with a heavy yet grateful heart, that I say goodbye to the incredible place that is the University of Washington,” Ray-Statz said. "Though bittersweet, my husband and I have made the decision to move closer to family as we raise our young kids.

I hope so. I hope that the allegation about Ray (her claiming those psychology records) is false. If it is true, then I hope Ray rectifies.

Wishing her well with her family !

José M.

I’m assuming that it’s coming up now instead of sooner is for several reasons:
  • NCAA season just ended
  • Washington had its worst season in my memory (granted, I’ve only watched since 2012)
  • Kentucky has already let a coach go, and more are soon to follow from several places
  • Names get tossed around as potential coaches, and Elise’s name comes up often.
I think it’s possible for both to be true: There were some sour grapes in the Facebook comments but also some very valid points. Requesting the psychologist’s notes is by far the worst offense to me, but it sounds like the food changes were made behind the gymnasts’ backs, after they’d ordered, and I’d be upset by that too - the assumption that I, as a grown woman, can’t choose what I eat (and if any of the gymnasts have/had eating disorders [not speculating that ANY of them have, just speaking from the perspective of someone who HAS had one] getting your food changed could only exacerbate the problem with food and eating.

I also don’t think the former support staff’s length of tenure is suspect in this, even if she was there for only a year. I’ve walked away from teaching jobs after a year because the environment was so toxic. (I walked out of a potential coaching job in college one DAY after a tryout there because it was incredibly toxic.)

So yeah - I don’t know Elise, any of her former staff, or any current/former Washington gymnasts, but I’m inclined to believe them.

She did remove items from our orders. The menus we were given were only the healthiest of options from that restaurant. I got yelled at one time for eating TWO pieces of candy at a white elephant gift exchange. Said that I was setting a bad example for the team. Two pieces… I weighed 115 at the time

Kaplan’s account is super vague because she was on the team for 3 days and then quit. Told one of our team mates that “she didn’t want to go to a good school” hence why she transferred to GW and was happy. She would complain about working out when she was sore. Said she couldn’t do it and would NOT even try. I’m glad she left UW. And I was on the team with her.

I obviously have no way of verifying who you are on an anonymous board, much less the truth of what you’re saying, but obviously if that did happen it would be completely inappropriate.

McNamara was recruited by Ray and liked her. She was offered a scholarship at the end of season but declined due to uncertainty re coaching situation. She was the top regular season scorer and competed the AA most. She’s verbally committed elsewhere. She doesn’t know Maya and never was her teammate. Only toxic people call others that, especially if they don’t know a person.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back