Scores

Free Stream

4:00pm ET/1:00pm PT

Bridgeport @ Brown
5:00pm ET/2:00pm PT

[16] Utah State, [20] Stanford @ Washington
P12 Network I

Last edited:
199 is gonna be broken this year I think and the gymternet will implode. I bet UF or Michigan will do it in the next few meets.

Yeah Auburn and Florida was a ridiculous meet.
This year is looking like the most 10s in one year ever.

Saw it in person, timing worked out where I was able to stop through on a drive from Orlando to Atlanta. Was expecting to have a fairly mild night and was excited to see both teams, especially Auburn as I’d seen Florida last week in Gainesville. It’s one thing to have Florida hit 198.575… I mean we always knew they were gonna have a deeply talented roster this year… But seeing Auburn hit the same mark was one of the weirdest things Ive ever seen. Felt deeply out of body. I didn’t really notice just how high scores were going until after 3, when totals were still crazy high. Then the last rotation was just an anxiety-driven back and forth where everyone was just waiting for the scores to trickle in, because it was clear by that point the scores were pretty disconnected from the actual performances… It looked like Florida’s 2 tenth lead was insurmountable. Then the audience booing when suni got a 9.975 (!!!) And then just completely losing it when gobourne got her 10 to tie Florida… I almost recorded Derrians floor but was too busy jumping and screaming along with everyone else. Insane.

I’ll also put my money on michigan breaking 199 first. They’ve had a score slump recently (comparatively), but it would not shock me at all to see them surge.

PXL_20220305_024005661

I hope 199 gets broken multiple times this year and we experience 25+ individual national champions due to ties. The scoring needs to be fixed and it won’t happen until things completely fall apart. The sooner the better; I’d like 2023 to be a saner season. Scoring will always be a topic but I’m so tired of it completely overshadowing the gymnastics to the point where we barely talk about the actual routines.

Well don’t forget that we get multiple judges at nationals so it will be quite different scoring.
There are usually just 4 judges at meets as long as they are dual meets. they do VT/UB and then switch over to BB/FX.
Both scores are averaged so no high and low dropped like they will at nationals.

My current favorite team, LIU scored a record 195.075 against UNC. Mara Titarsolej (formerly of NED) got her first 10.0 on bars, where she is ranked 8th in the country tied with Sami Durante (LSU) and Raena Worley (UK).
I do hope she makes it out of regionals and to nationals.
LIU also broke 49 on both beam and floor and came super close on vault (48.975)

So happy for a 2nd year team to be getting much deserved success from their hard work.

If the team can actually hit 24 for 24 they can get into the 196 range IMO.

I now the focus is generally on the big 4 conferences at championships, (SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12) but EAGL, MPSF, MRGC, MIC, and MAC always have exciting championships where it is never fully guaranteed which team will come out on top.
The GEC should also be exciting in its first conference championships.

Nationals scoring last year seemed way looser than the previous nationals.

I feel like another factor is that, as a commentator, I’m not sure there’s a tactful way to express to viewers that the judges are on crack without exposing the current state of NCAA gym as a farce of a sport. Like, there’s a level of cognitive dissonance involved in enjoying NCAA gym rn that I don’t think the average tv viewer/sportsfan would get.

I feel like another factor is that, as a commentator, I’m not sure there’s a tactful way to express to viewers that the judges are on crack without exposing the current state of NCAA gym as a farce of a sport.
There have been hints of this from Sacramone, Roethlisberger, Kathy, and Bart a bit here and there.

In addition to multiple overscores that we have seen this year overall there have also been a few obvious underscores. Like, where are the judges taking the deductions?

I do agree that we have seen many 9.950 and 9.975s that would be a 9.8/9.825 for lower ranked teams.

The top teams have always been scored very leniently compared to everyone else, but it’s out of control this year AND it feels like for everyone except the very lowest ranked teams (and D3), the code is more like a very loose guideline the judges can ignore when they feel like it. The judges are consistently failing to separate routines, and it’s not like they don’t have the tools to do so.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back