MyKayla Skinner Olympic participation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If McCallum is hitting a successful Cheng, it pretty much eliminates the need for Skinner, who is barely hanging by a thread.

Interestingly in 2016, it was the need for another UB worker that ultimately eliminated Skinner from contention because she was in direct competition with Raisman for a spot on the team.

Now in 2021, Carey making it to the Olympics, with Simone all but a lock essentially eliminates any need for Skinner as she won’t be making any event finals and the one event in team finals she would contribute on is fully covered with a McCallum Cheng.

Exactly. Grace’s Cheng kills Skinner. They aren’t going to take 4 Chengs to Tokyo…

To be fair, a team of McCusker, Hurd and Leanne Wong doing AA in TF would likely get gold.

well…I think Russia with Melnikova, Listunova, and Urazova would have a shot at topping that trio. But to be fair, I haven’t done any score analysis to support that gut feeling. 😛

It would be close. They’re all AAers in the 56-57 range for fully hit sets. It would actually be quite exciting!

This whole era of Simone, whilst I really enjoy her gymnastics, has made the Team Final, once the pinnacle of World and Olympic gymnastics competition, kinda boring.

It’s made the issue of who wins gold boring. The bunching between the next few teams down in the last couple of competitions has been very interesting though. Sometimes in a farcical way. 2018 was like nobody wanted that bronze at all.

Post Olympic year is always boring. And it didn’t even have a TF!

I think it’s more boring because Russia and China (and Romania 😦 ) no longer have established stars/drama queens on their teams. Particularly China. It’s just a rolling conveyor belt of 16yos we never get to know.

Remember Atlanta AA when there were legit ten gymnasts who could have won GOLD on any given day. And we knew all their back stories and drama. I miss the long fluff pieces about foreign gymnasts. It made us way more invested in the outcome.

Plus the new scoring system (kinda quite rightly) separates the athletes better. So the outcome is more “known” in advance. Less suspense.

Listunova, Melnikova, Urasova.

But really any Russian trio is sus for falls.

Ha I meant which 3? The US 3 or the RUS 3. It would be close and would likely depend on who fell the most.

The US team is more likely than the Russians to make less errors and falls.
For the most part US has been utterly consistent in hitting routines, this is a huge part of the reason that they have dominated. having Simone helps quite a bit, but even without her they would still have won.
Melnikova has improved her consistently dramatically. Listunova and Urasova were pretty solid as juniors, so let us see how that transitions to the senior ranks. We have seen plenty a Russian junior star become an inconsistent senior athlete.

Just listening to Skinners latest YouTube video.

She LITERALLY thinks she’s going to the Olympics. Props to her for her self belief. But, really. She was speaking to her academic advisor about her 2021/22 classes, and she was like “I don’t know the exact dates for the Olympics but…” as if it was like, not even a question in her mind that she was gonna be going…

She LITERALLY thinks she’s going to the Olympics. Props to her for her self belief. But, really. She was speaking to her academic advisor about her 2021/22 classes, and she was like “I don’t know the exact dates for the Olympics but…”
This girl. Really, she’s just not very bright, is she? You don’t know the exact dates of the Olympics? Its not exactly a moving target. Those dates have just kinda been set for a while…

Especially as she has put her whole life on hold so that she can compete AA at the Olympics…

There has been and will always be some sort of self-delusion. Skinner’s perspective on things is often skewed.

Remember when she called herself the 3rd place World Champion instead of bronze medalist. LMAO

Last edited:
What are the most recent videos we have of McCallum doing a Cheng vault?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back