MyKayla Skinner Olympic participation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m not going to defend his behavior, but I don’t really understand why people are mad at him for working. It isn’t like people were given choices except perhaps to quit, which in his case would leave his family with no income or health insurance. Maybe it’s just that no one wants to hear alarm systems described as “essential”?

I know people who have had to work through the pandemic. They work and they come home. They do not go out to parties where they socialize indoors, in close quarters without masks on. If all he was doing was working I think way fewer people would have an issue. But that’s not all he was doing, and we know because he posted pictures of it on the internet.

1. Alarm company salespeople are not essential. Especially when people were spending most of their time at home during the start of the pandemic. Comparing alarm sales people to front line workers is disrespectful.
  2. Who said people were mad at him for working? No one. People were outraged after he posted tons of photos of him at various events with no mask and no social distancing. After Skinner got Covid from her husband and people were questioning why he would be so irresponsible, instead of stating what we all knew, Skinner tried to defend it by saying he only got Covid because he was “an essential worker”.
  3. “Only got Covid because he is an essential worker” is a huge slap in the face to all the nurses, doctors, hospital staff, grocery store employees, ambulance personell, fire department, police department, emergency workers, teachers, etc. Those who had to put themselves at risk of exposure almost the entire time they were working because it is part of their job. House alarm salespersons are FAR from being high-exposure like the others. Therefore the comparison is ridiculous.
  4. Instead of apologizing for her husband not following Covid protocols and spreading the virus not only to her, but who knows how many others, Skinner claimed he got it because he was an essential worker and it wasn’t his fault for catching it or passing it to her. That’s when people reposted his Twitter and IG pics of being irresponsible.
If she had simply said they both made mistakes and as a result contracted Covid it would be completely different than stating that he became infected because he was an “essential worker”. That is where I have a problem with the statement, as do various others.

I saw her do a Weiler 1/1 in today’s video.

Imagine if Simone puts it in but Skinner actually did it first. What would the name be??

It doesn’t get a name if they both do it in the same phase of competition is my understanding.

ETA: Though as I say that, I seem to recall at a recent Worlds ('18 or '19) there was some leap or turn or something that two gymnasts did and they hyphenated the name. Am I making that up?

Last edited:
I saw her do a Weiler 1/1 in today’s video.

Imagine if Simone puts it in but Skinner actually did it first. What would the name be??
do you know which video has her doing that? I watched a video she posted yesterday and I think I missed it but I’m not sure if it was the correct video)

Yeah she posted it like 3 days ago. She was trying the Weiler 1/2 but she fell out of it and did another half turn before falling.

ESxiNke.png

Tom Forster visits Desert Lights and gives feedback.

And then some wonder how on Earth they or a loved one got Covid. They are sure they were being SO careful. And I take it that Tom is traveling from gym to gym…

Interesting that an elite gymnast doesn’t know the correct name for the skill that she is training. It often seems American gymnasts especially don’t know, if truth be told. Not even coaches or commentators. They still call a van Leeuwen a ‘Maloney half’. 🤷‍♀️

I found it interesting at how much Tom was complimenting her. For April in an Olympic year, she isn’t ready AT.ALL. Even close. He was saying how high her Shap 1/2 was. Despite her legs being rank. And despite not even being able to get through a second half bar set. It was almost like he was giving her false hope.

The only way Skinner gets on the team is if she has a 9.2 Cheng, a 9.3 Amanar, and at least 2 of the top 8 US gymnasts go down before Trials. I mean, it could happen, but it’s super low probability, and it won’t be because her Shap 1/2 has a good rise…

Are we still pretending that Tom Forster has ANY FUCKING CLUE how to do his job?

Since teams are being picked by AA ranking he can play Mother Theresa and visit gym after gym gushing over his gymnasts. Trying to pretend that USAG is lollipops, gumdrops, and rainbows.

Team USA is so screwed post Simone.

To be honest, team USA is fucking hot right now. I disagree. We just haven’t seen the talent and upgrades yet this year.

Wong. Eaker. Hurd. McCallum. Each of these girls would be the top AAer on ANY other team on the planet. Yet 1, maybe 2, out of these 4 will go to Tokyo.

Last edited:
POST Simone.

Once this group goes off to college Team USA is screwed.

There is very little talent in the juniors right now and with no one leading, whatever potential there is will be lost IMO.

The current seniors would mop the floor with the rest of the World without Simone. The reason USAG/Tom can just say “all around rank only!!!” is BECAUSE of Simone, who is guaranteed to destroy everyone, inclduing her teammates.

McClain and Blakely are around for 2022. DiCello also I think.

But everyone else is going this fall:
Chiles, Hurd, McCusker, Carey, Wong, McCallum, Eaker, E Lee, S Lee

It’s more looking at the current crop of Juniors, no one stands out. Let’s hope post Covid they focus on the juniors more.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back