Mustafina EF FX 2014

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Is that about the underrotated twisting tho? Cause wasn’t the rule then if you punch you get a pass? I mean it was outrageous, but that she did, specially in AA
I mean, it got credit but there’s surely a precision deduction attached to a sideways punch Pike Front.

The issue was with her bent knees on literally every skill. And don’t come at me with the “her knees are just like that” brigade. My back’s inability to not hit a Switch Ring is “just like that” too.

Yeah Mustafina’s Mustafina didn’t get credit in the AA Final. Which was a tough call. It was just as close as the attempt in 2014 EF FX which she did get credit for, IMO.

Luckily, she still got bronze.

Mustafina’s execution score was .433 higher than Shang’s. That is not good judging, LOL. She’s constantly stopping for turns and falling out of them, her acro had plenty of flaws, and there’s little artistry. Shang’s bent knees are no worse than the tired, disjointed performance Mustafina put out there.

Last edited:
Much as I love Musty, in my heart, I know Gabby Douglas is the 2016 bronze medalist… 😉
Gabby’s prelim score would have won her silver!!! Oh how I long for the days of 3 per country and I guess bronze medalist Raisman makes me feel a little better than silver medalist

Last edited:
Gabby needed that Amanar. She would have had the magical E Panel Amanar bump on top of the 0.4 D Score bump.

Shang: 7.9

3.5 twist - .1 cross legs, .1 knee, 1 underturn
3.0 twist - .1 cross legs
Quad turn - .1 preparation, .1 underturn, .1 balance
2.5 twist - .1 cross legs, .1 knee
Front pike 1/2 - .1 step
Switch ring - .1 back leg
Switch 1/2 - .1 knee
Double Pike - .1 flex feet, .1 knee, .1 low chest, .1 feet apart landing, .1 step
Double Wolf turn - .1 balance, .1 arm swing
Artistry - .1 musicality, .1 choreography, .3 Chinese (I was instructed to give this deduction by FIG, but refused)

Mustafina: 7.9

Double L-turn - .1 underturn, .1 hop
Double Tuck full - .1 flex feet, .1 leg separation, .1 step
Triple I/Y turn - .1 preparation, .1 underturn, .1 balance, .1 hop
Double I/Y turn - .1 preparation
1.5 twist - .1 pike
Front full - .1 hop
Quad turn - .1 preparation, .1 underturn, .1 balance
Switch 1/2 - .1 body shape
Double Tuck - .1 flex feet, .1 leg separation, .1 step
Artistry - .1 musicality, .1 choreography, +.1 Russian bonus (I was instructed to give this bonus by FIG, but refused)

I mean, you definitely have to give the punch out of the triple a precision deduction as well, she’s literally facing sideways when she lands

I think her landing there is fine. You can see it’s not that far off from the diagonal of the corner of the floor.

Chunsong-landing

I mean, you definitely have to give the punch out of the triple a precision deduction as well, she’s literally facing sideways when she lands
Amplitude! She almost headbuts the mat!

Last edited:
Particularly when read in conjunction with an 0.1 for piking on Mustafina’s 1.5 twist.

Right. Im also pretty sure that “underturning” (I think she means precision) wasn’t really taken in the 13-16 Code. You just got a downgrade and a deduction, if applicable, for being off axis. This was clearly evidenced by the 8.7 and 8.9 E Scores from the two R Panel judges. Those deductions just weren’t taken then.

There’s always issues with trying to judge a routine from two Codes ago. I could probably get Shang down to a 7.0 now, if I really wanted to try.

Last edited:
Amplitude! She almost headbuts the mat!
No she doesn’t, that’s a ridiculous claim. This is acceptable amplitude on a front tuck connection, and executed with very quick snap, clean form, and stuck landing:
Shang-front tuck

Your other snide comments that said nothing are not helpful. A reply of “it’s not fine” about her landing provides 0 reasoning or counterargument. As already seen in the other screencap, her feet on the landing are not too distant from the diagonal line. If the landing was under enough to get deducted, her feet would be pointing more towards the further right corner of the floor.
Particularly when read in conjunction with an 0.1 for piking on Mustafina’s 1.5 twist.
Mustafina-2016-1.5twist

She pikes more here than any of Shang’s twists, and has some leg form issue too. Deduction on this element is deserved. Mustafina frequently had flawed twisting form, it’s quite strange someone would act like it’s a surprise she’s getting deduction there.

Now let’s look at Shang’s clean 1.5 twist:
Shang-1.5twist

Im also pretty sure that “underturning” (I think she means precision) wasn’t really taken in the 13-16 Code. You just got a downgrade and a deduction, if applicable, for being off axis.
It’s been a listed deduction in every code for decades. That said, specifically in the 13-16 code, the box for Precision does strangely just say Acro elements. This is closer to how I feel the code should be, it’s unnecessary to be hitting elements with an underturn deduction if they are already being devalued. If they overturn, who cares, they did more. The balance and form is what should matter.

I would label Mustafina’s Double-L mistake as balance rather than underturn in that case though. I initially felt 3 deductions would be too much there. Her other two flawed spins would get .1 back. Shang would also get .1 back, so there’s still a .333 differential in my scores and the average they received. I have no doubt Mustafina’s score would look much different if she went into that competition as a nobody from an “unloved” federation.

No she doesn’t, that’s a ridiculous claim. This is acceptable amplitude on a front tuck connection, and executed with very quick snap, clean form, and stuck landing:
I’m sorry, but I cannot seriously engage with anyone who is trying to actually argue that Chunsong’s punch front shouldn’t have had an amplitude deduction.

You genuinely don’t see an amplitude deduction here? I dread to think of what a skill might look like with an amplitude deduction!

Plus, the screencap you posted literally looks like a side somi. Where’s your precision deduction?

And whether she has “clean form” and a “stuck landing” has literally 0% to do with whether you’d take an amplitude or precision deduction.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back