Manrique Larduet: Did you know he's back, competing in Europe??

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Denn

Staff member
Defender
Reaction score
First of all, for anyone who forgot: Larduet is a serious AA medal threat whenever he shows up to competitions. 2015 AA silver medalist and top qualifier at other worlds, just to miss in the finals.

Larduet qualified to the Tokyo Olympics — and turned it down. People asked him on social media if he was even training, he just posted a photo with a huge "NO!".

However, it appears he's been in Europe this year training seriously. Earliest result I could find is from the start of the German bundesliga season (which goes for a while).

Since then, his Instagram has all kinds of training vids and self-motivation hashtag. He's working some great vaults, a tough high bar, pretty normal but nice stuff on pbars.

Including this strange video: it shows that he competed at the Italian championships in September and won in a total blow-out, even with a mistake on floor the first day and lousy pommels. His AA score on Day 2 would have been 4th at Worlds. And he's not even at full strength yet.

Is he still able to qualify? If so, is it only through continental championships?

He's a pommel horse routine away from being a solid bronze medal threat, even better than Fred Richards or Ilia Kovtun.

I wonder what country he would compete for.

He left Cuba because he got in a fight with the Cuban Federation, and at that point said he was going to leave Cuba and train somewhere else.

Unless he is able to switch to a European country (or already has and I'm just unaware), he's missed his chance to qualify as an AAer for Cuba. He could qualify via world cups for apparatus, but if he's in some struggle with the Cuban fed, would they even send him?

He definitely is still proud of being a Cuban gymnast. He has a few posts about that. Which is very nice, but I wonder if that would make him a little hesitant to compete for another country.

What was his disagreement with the federation about?

History of clashes with INDER​

Manrique Larduet's disagreements with the Cuban sports authorities began in 2020, when he announced that they would not allow his coach Carlos Gil - who had been removed from INDER - to guide him in his desire to achieve the best results in the Tokyo Olympic Games.

After several complaints on social networks from Larduet and his own coach, INDER announced its delegation to Tokyo with the gymnast absent. The entity argued that he was "lacking the physical and technical fitness necessary for an event of that level."

“The reasons stated here are not really why I will not attend the Tokyo Olympics. For many it is not a secret that being in the world elite is not easy, that thanks to my effort and dedication I have earned it in all aspects, I have and will always have a level for all types of competition because that is what I have worked for and demonstrated. . I resigned since February and to date they have not even asked me how I felt,” said the Cuban gymnast in the middle of last year.

“I take responsibility for my resignation, but I do not assume the lack of respect. If I stayed silent it's because I didn't want to continue hurting myself emotionally, I felt very bad. I know that the networks are not always favorable, but we also have to clarify what is not said. If you are going to take care of your image, take care of those sacrificed too,” she explained.

Born in Santiago de Cuba in July 1996, Larduet has a degree in physical culture and sports and had qualified for the Olympic Games in October 2019, after being out of competition for several months due to several surgical interventions.

Double world medalist in Glasgow 2015, and Olympic finalist in Rio 2016, the gymnast finished in 2019 in 21st place among 156 gymnasts at the end of the qualifying round of the World Championships in Stuttgart, Germany, adding a total of 81,898 points in the six apparatus , and also qualifying for the final of the tournament.

His awards also include being champion and multi-medalist at the XXII Central American and Caribbean Games Veracruz 2014 and winner of gold and silver medals at the Central American Games in Barranquilla, in 2018.

Since the beginning of 2021, Larduet had hinted at the possibility of leaving the island to continue his career in another country.

"Every cloud has a silver lining. This is what I say to the frustrated ones who don't let us move forward, just because of the pain of seeing us shine. “If one day I leave my sports career, I will leave happy with the legacy I leave ,” he said then.

“I may have 3000% motivation, but everything cannot be left to sacrifice. If one day everything changes and another Cuban gymnast like me or better comes out, I am sure that wherever he wants me to be, I will look for him and shake his hand for the good work he has done. “If one day I leave, I will leave BIG ,” he concluded.

Thank you, Shelli. I had never seen that.

What caused the fallout? The Fed wanting Manrique to change coaches? Why?

We probably won't ever know the whole truth.

As far as the Olympics is concerned, how he can qualify depends on what country he competes for, and I'm not sure that's going to be Cuba.

Manrique can compete in a European league since it isn't affiliated with FIG, but he would have to switch nationalities with FIG and who knows, Cuba might even block him (if they can), so I doubt he will be able to compete in Paris given the time.

One thing is for sure: while in Europe, he will have looked into the options and consulted a lot of people. Which gives me hope.

If he switches countries with intent to compete at Worlds or Olympics we would see the country change if/when he files for an FIG license.

So whatever page that updates on would be the place to watch.

Which could be a long wait and watch if Cuba decided to block him.

When was the last time he competed for Cuba? Was it Stuttgart in 2019? If so I think Cuba wouldn't have a say and be able to block him.

I remember Annia Hatch had to wait a while before being allowed to compete for USA. She was ready to compete in 2002 but was held back until 2003. Was it a citizenship wait issue thing or did Cuba block her from a quicker transition even though she last competed for them internationally in 1996?

I remember Annia Hatch had to wait a while before being allowed to compete for USA. She was ready to compete in 2002 but was held back until 2003. Was it a citizenship wait issue thing or did Cuba block her from a quicker transition even though she last competed for them internationally in 1996?
I’m pretty sure it was Cuba. If your current federation objects to the switch there is a mandatory wait time I believe. Basically what happened to Nemour

I had no idea Manrique was still competing. He was fabulous in 2015. Such star quality.

I’m pretty sure it was Cuba. If your current federation objects to the switch there is a mandatory wait time I believe. Basically what happened to Nemour
This is just so infuriating. Time and time again we have seen numerous federations not act in the best interest of their athletes. They have way, way too much power.

Individual federations should not have the power to block a nationality switch.

It was both.
Hatch received citizenship in 2001, however FIG rules at the time stated that if the citizenship switch occur, the former country needed to approve the switch, or wait a full year after the nation switch to compete. Fidel Castro refused to allow her to do so and she had to wait until 2003 to officially represent the US.

I believe that the rules have changed, partially due to Hatch's scenario. She had last competed for Cuba in 1996, and retired in 1997. She started to compete again in 2002, so 5 years had passed.

Now, I think once the nationality switch goes through the gymnast is good to go, as long as they have not competed for the former nation for over a year. If under a year, they need to be released, which is what happened to Neymour.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back