Konnor McClain at LSU

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

She's the least accomplished national champ in memory. Even Kristy Powell competed more routines at worlds and was a Pan Ams champion.

Jones, Blakely, Wong, DiCello, Chiles, Carey have all medalled at worlds since Tokyo and haven't received anywhere close to the level of coverage McClain has gotten.

She's the least accomplished national champ in memory. Even Kristy Powell competed more routines at worlds and was a Pan Ams champion.

Jones, Blakely, Wong, DiCello, Chiles, Carey have all medalled at worlds since Tokyo and haven't received anywhere close to the level of coverage McClain has gotten.
That’s what I don’t understand. From a media perspective, what’s the appeal of Konnor?

That’s what I don’t understand. From a media perspective, what’s the appeal of Konnor?
Only thing I can think of is that she is on their radar due to the YouTube exposure she had as a kid. Maybe that's made her particularly memorable or "important" in their eyes relative to other athletes that have accomplished as much or more.

This was an article by Scott Bregman, who just published an article on Trinity Thomas, who has never even won a Nationals. It's a short little article, big whoop. Scott has done pieces on those other gymnasts too.

McClain might have an agent landing these spots for NIL opportunities. Journalism isn't always about what people are actually interested in, sadly, and this exposure can be bought.

It’s an online article on Olympics.com, not a people magazine spread lol.

Bregman probably has a quota of articles to turn in per week. There’s a finite amount of things to report on when 99% of athletes are just doing the same training all day every day. So you scrape together whatever you can get that people will still click on.

She doesn't have a current FIG license...so hopefully she works on that soon if she is serious about Paris.

She doesn't have a current FIG license...so hopefully she works on that soon if she is serious about Paris.
Individuals can’t obtain FIG licences, they are obtained by national federations on behalf of athletes. The USAG way of doing things tends to be only current national team members have their licence renewed

I understand that, but USAG should be submitting athletes in contention or wish to be in contention for Paris. More so McClain should register for American Classic/US Classic.
If she doesn't make the national team at nationals, it will cut it close, should she be in contention at Trials.

Connor was in “Golden: The Journey of USA’s Elites” which wasn’t technically a reality show. That was where we were introduced to her West Virgina coach and her tendency to puke a lot.

NBC already invested time in her. i want to quote Andy Memmel’s stop trying to make fetch happen.

“Once I got up to the podium, "Bugs" (assistant coach Ashleigh Gnat) was like, ‘I’m going to stand over there. Go do your thing,’ McClain said. “So I take a deep breath before I go and I just settle into the beam; it’s just me and the beam in that arena.”

I love the nickname Bugs for someone with the last name Gnat lol.

Can you imagine if she makes the team? Winning Nationals, then quitting elite and winning NCAA in her first season, and then right into the Olympics. #blessed

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back