Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Skinner “no flexibility” trashing Suni as not having a gymnast body.
Girl Hair Flip GIF by Shalita Grant

And next thing you see from Skinner will be a photoshop oof her head on Suni’s body at the Olympics.

It doesn't seem very conducive to sponsorship, does it? It would've been more sensible to dig out every photo she's got of her with any of the team, presumably none with Hezley but she must have loads with the others, talk up the connection and be all like here is me and Suni chalking the bars throwback Thursday so proud go team USA.
IMG_5455.pngLike this picture with Hezly? 😂

View attachment 10570Like this picture with Hezly? 😂
Ooof, if that's an elder sister...

When I was in 3rd grade, an older girl in my gymnastics class would bully me. Turned out she attended the same school and had a few classes as my older sister. We don't know what she said or did, but my sister came home and declared that girl wouldn't bother me anymore. Sure enough, that night at gymnastics, that girl apologized to me and was as sweet as southern iced tea to me after that.

Atler's remarks​

Atler praised the current team's dedication and talent, highlighting their potential for the upcoming Olympics. Her support aimed to counter Skinner's critiques and affirm the strength and readiness of the athletes representing Team USA in Paris.

"I don't know what other people were watching but.... 1) I have never seen so much depth! I can't think of an era where 4 or 5 athletes can drop from injuries and we STILL have an amazing and epic team!" Alter wrote on Instagram.

"2) Not as hard working as they used to be?? Are we kidding? We have 4 athletes that were on the last Olympic team. Do you know how difficult it is to make a comeback! These athletes are legends and deservingly so! And one young athlete who has done the work to earn that spot.

"3) In Marta and Belas era we had athletes that were forced to work hard. Is that what we want? All of these women are here because they want to be. To me that is a real athlete. All of these women are happy! You can see it in their eyes. And for anyone to say anything positive about the Karolyis and all of their toxicity is just as toxic as them. And there is no place or need for that in gymnastics anymore. So leave your jealousies at home.

"4) Lastly falls happen all the time at Trials, if not more. I think former athletes can all say "in my era" things were different, things were harder. You have no right to take the difficulty away from these athletes. You do not know what they have gone through personally and professionally.

"So all I can say is.... The words that you said cannot be misinterpreted. They are just petty and mean. That's all there is to it. Maybe you should take a lesson from these Olympic athletes on how to be supportive and uplifting to other women."

A short bit that contains video of Skinner’s BS. For people who don’t want to have to hunt it down.

And the apology is in that too. “Some of y’all misunderstood me”.

Atler's remarks​

Atler praised the current team's dedication and talent, highlighting their potential for the upcoming Olympics. Her support aimed to counter Skinner's critiques and affirm the strength and readiness of the athletes representing Team USA in Paris.

"I don't know what other people were watching but.... 1) I have never seen so much depth! I can't think of an era where 4 or 5 athletes can drop from injuries and we STILL have an amazing and epic team!" Alter wrote on Instagram.

"2) Not as hard working as they used to be?? Are we kidding? We have 4 athletes that were on the last Olympic team. Do you know how difficult it is to make a comeback! These athletes are legends and deservingly so! And one young athlete who has done the work to earn that spot.

"3) In Marta and Belas era we had athletes that were forced to work hard. Is that what we want? All of these women are here because they want to be. To me that is a real athlete. All of these women are happy! You can see it in their eyes. And for anyone to say anything positive about the Karolyis and all of their toxicity is just as toxic as them. And there is no place or need for that in gymnastics anymore. So leave your jealousies at home.

"4) Lastly falls happen all the time at Trials, if not more. I think former athletes can all say "in my era" things were different, things were harder. You have no right to take the difficulty away from these athletes. You do not know what they have gone through personally and professionally.

"So all I can say is.... The words that you said cannot be misinterpreted. They are just petty and mean. That's all there is to it. Maybe you should take a lesson from these Olympic athletes on how to be supportive and uplifting to other women."

Love, love, love Vanessa Atler - and she is so right on this.

I do not dislike MyKayla to the extent some people on this Board do. And I really take strong exception to the people who mock her for being a member of the LDS Church. BUT -- sorry Mykayla -- this was no misunderstanding or a case of being taken out of context. What you said about this Team was perfectly clear and totally outrageous. And seemed to be coming from a place of deep resentment and vindictiveness. I echo Simone's sentiments -- no need for everyone to have a mic and a platform.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back