Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (5/29/24 Withdrawn from Nationals)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

5th athlete to do VT/FX ....... Sigh. We're gonna end up with "Jocelyn Roberson, Olympian" aren't we?

Kaliya Lincoln's stock rose considerably last year. Her floor was received well at Pan Am Games.

Lincoln's chance at a floor medal in Paris is much higher than Roberson's chance at a vault medal, IMO.

Don't want her anywhere near bars but with Biles, Jones, Suni, and Gabby on the hypothetical team, Lincoln wouldn't be going anywhere near it.

I wonder just what she did to her ankle. At worlds, they were trying to pass it off as very minor, that she might even be able to do vault finals (which I thinks we all suspected was bullshit given she was not weight bearing ).

Yet she spent 6 weeks in a boot and still isn't close to competition ready. I know this is likely only a snippet of what was said, but no mention of bars at all?

Roberson wasn’t able to do landings for a long while. Jordan talked last month about how she’s been training. Eiugher ine could complement Gabby but Jordan fills the spots more effectively if she gets her vaults back.

JR’s Cheng 14.65

JC’s talking vaults last month and a look at her previous vaults.

If Jordan Chiles regains her consistency (and doesn't blow out a knee doing a cheng) and Gabby is as good on UB and BB as her 2016 self, my team is Biles, Chiles, Douglas, Jones, and whoever has the best FX, if it is tf ready. Otherwise, eh, throw a dart and take one of wong, dicello, carey, Blakely, lee, or lincoln.

Jordan’s been training an amanar and noted in a recent interview that’s bringing some old skills back but nothing new. She didn’t say what the old skills are. In an earlier interview she mentioned she was training a cheng but sounds like that’s been scrapped.

Ooof, none of what Roberson said sounds like it was a minor injury. Having to relearn how to walk and run and still not 100% in February? Could it be an Achilles' tear?

If we have a team of Biles, Douglas, Lee, and Jones, that means Skye Blakely's Olympic chances have diminished considerably unless she can upgrade VT and FX and be consistent.

Unlikely an Achilles tear. She wouldn't be back tumbling on a rod floor so quickly. Possibly a grade 3 sprain.

Honestly a team of Biles, Jones, Douglass, Lincoln, and one of Chiles/Blakely is very interesting and covers all the bases plus some
(And then there's Lee, Wong, Thomas, Roberson, DiCello waiting, wow so many solid athletes)

I know it has been said in previous quads, but this time it is fully legit. The US could field two teams that without a doubt would clear 1st and 2nd easily. A 3rd team might even be able to snag bronze.

Amount of women competing at US Olympic trials in past years:

2000: 13
2004: 16
2008: 19
2012: 15
2016: 14
2021: 18

Amount of women competing at US Olympic trials in past years:

2000: 13
2004: 16
2008: 19
2012: 15
2016: 14
2021: 18
Crazy how many amazing gymnasts won't even have the chance to compete for the team this year! I can count 12 legitimate contenders for the 5-person team, which is unheard of IMO. Like not even bubble gymnasts, but gymnasts with a real claim for a spot. And that isn't even counting people like Thomas, Sumanasekera, Rivera, and others, plus anyone else who might have a sudden glow up like Chiles in 2021 who definitely wasn't on my team at this point that year.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back