Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (New goal: LA 2028)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

on a team of Simone, Suni, Gabby, and Shilese, Roberson would definitely be the Dooneese.

saturday night live snl GIF
Im suffering at the thought of it already.

This isn't really accurate though.
Shannon competed elite in 1997, she was at the International 3 on 3 with Amy Chow in March. She also competed (and won) at the University Games Trials in July. She then helped USA to team silver and won the all around gold at the University Games in August.
Additionally, she competed at various exhibitions (100 city tour) and "pro" meets in 1997.
She also competed in 1998 at various professional meets using an NCAA modified level 10 CoP, which she often won or was 2nd.
She didn't compete in 1999, but she did come back to elite right after 1999 Worlds.

Unlike Nastia who competed beam only in 2009, and then not seen until 2012.
I guess what I meant by ghosting was "opted not to attempt to help the US team at major competitions until the Olympic season." I didn't mean she wasn't keeping in shape or demonstrating her level of fitness. Rather trying to point out that at a certain point in particular gymnasts' careers, the Olympics are the only event they seem to think is really worth getting in top shape for.

I guess what I meant by ghosting was "opted not to attempt to help the US team at major competitions until the Olympic season." I didn't mean she wasn't keeping in shape or demonstrating her level of fitness. Rather trying to point out that at a certain point in particular gymnasts' careers, the Olympics are the only event they seem to think is really worth getting in top shape for.
There's the commercial aspect too, of course.

I'm willing to cut Shannon Miller some slack. She competed at every major comp from 1991-1996, and then some. During the era of compulsories, no less, and put a lot of pounding on her body. Resi pits, trouble traks, etc were just coming out when Shannon was at her peak. If she wanted a break, she earned it.

I guess what I meant by ghosting was "opted not to attempt to help the US team at major competitions until the Olympic season.
I get what you are saying, because Miller didn't do Nationals or Worlds in 1997.
She decided to do University Games instead.
She would have EASILY made the World Team in 1997 had she just competed. If you duplicate her AA scores (which I think counted a beam fall/major mistake) from the University Games, she would have been 4th behind Atler/Powell, and Bhardwaj. She would have been 3rd in line out of age eligible gymnasts.

The entire Mag 7 team was quite busy and running around with appearances, exhibitions, and pro meets.
It is why Moceanu was not in the best of shape at Nationals and Worlds. Her routines were not the best constructed for the new CoP, and she didn't have the training time in. Once she took the time to train consistently and focus on CoP, she showed up in peak form at the Goodwill Games.

1998 was very successful (granted at home) with Maloney, Atler, and Moceanu winning Goodwill Games gold medals. Going into 1999 it looked like these three would lead the team along with Ray, Beckermann, Antolin, Dantzscher, Thompson, and White. The depth was there.
Going into 1999 Worlds, the US was certainly in contention to win a team medal, but just decimated by injuries. Beckermann and Thompson were both out before Worlds, replaced by Dantzscher and White. Then Maroney was out after team finals. Atler was out after the AA final.
It was an unfortunate series of events. Finishing 6th again was an embarrassment.

So I can see why Miller thought she could "help" the team, in her words.
I do recall the rumor after Bela was placed as was that Bela had personally asked the Mag 7 to come back in 2000. He used them as pawns against the current crop of gymnasts. Granted Miller (97 University Games), Moceanu and Dawes (98 Goodwill Games), and Chow (99 World Team Trials) had already competed elite once before.
That is when Bela introduced the mandatory monthly training camps, the gymnasts being ranked into A-B-C squads

Miller's FX at University Games was a favorite of mine.

Love the music, it's a classic favorite of mine, but I feel like everything else looks a little soft/under/short/needs to be sharpened up, you can tell she's not quite in top form

I haven’t watched 97 Worlds in a long, long time. Was that the one with the Gogean appendix fluff? IIRC it seemed like commentators made a big deal about how low Americans scored.

Gabby comeback, a free international YouTube stream and my random day off this week (booked months ago) coinciding all for tomorrow certainly seemed too good to be true.

Argh I want to destroy something. 🤬🤬🤬

Hopefully though, covid will have less long term effects than an injury. Fingers crossed that it's a mild case that doesn't leave her with after effects.

I was so excited about Winter Cup almost entirely because of Gabby. This f****** blows.

Can she get international assignments by doing well at the next Camp or does she now have to wait until Classics to compete? Please tell me the Olympics (should she make it) won't be her first and only international meet of the quad.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back