Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (New goal: LA 2028)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

She can take comfort in knowing she is still somebody. If she was a nobody, nobody would care in the slightest what gym she was at.

ETA: If she is trying to gen up hype and interest to net some new sponsorships, that part is working but I think she is going to have to compete somewhere and put down some good routines before anyone would really bite.

Even with Gabby, nobody other than us big gym fans care at all about where she is training. This is not a national news story. If she wants to generate interest to the general public and potential sponsors, particularly when Simone will otherwise dominate all headlines and sponsorships, Gabby probably has to show that she is truly back and shooting for an olympic spot.

People are going to play detective when there's an information vacuum. I don't know who went to Scott Bergman with the story Gabby left WOGA (Gabby? WOGA? Some other party?), but Gabby posting some vague Instagram several days later was only going to further the "omg, where is she?!" speculation.

As far as gymnastics is concerned, Gabby is a public figure, of course people watch and overanalyze every move. And when she makes a move like this and there's no further information, it only throws gasoline on the fire.
Nancy Armour said she heard this was coming at the Winter Cup. So someone was talking.

Douglas never announced anything about changing gyms. She posted that she’d miss Winter Cup because of Covid, then a week later posted that she was recovered from Covid and back training.

Scott Bregman is the one who posted that Anna Liukin told him Douglas left the gym on Sunday.

That’s all the information there ever was.

But given weight because Bregman is probably the single most respected gymnastics reporter. English language, at least.

Right, somebody told Bregman Gabby left. We know he confirmed it with WOGA. But who told him in the first place? Did Gabby or someone representing her do it? The Liukins?

But given weight because Bregman is probably the single most respected gymnastics reporter. English language, at least.

Yea he’s absolutely a believable source. My point was more none of this “drama” was started by Douglas.

If Bregman didn’t say anything, and all we ever saw was Douglas saying she had Covid and then was back to training, no one would be wondering where that training was taking place.

Right, somebody told Bregman Gabby left. We know he confirmed it with WOGA. But who told him in the first place? Did Gabby or someone representing her do it? The Liukins?

He says Anna Liukin.

4B23B629-7377-4F28-81F5-CAE4EC7B9B78.jpeg

Wasn't Gabby also training at Chris Waller's gym, Gym Jam, after the 2012 Olympics and before she went to Buckeye?

Is she at Chows? Gabby shared an Instagram story. The gym mom that posted appears to have a kid at Chows. 🤷‍♀️

Is she at Chows? Gabby shared an Instagram story. The gym mom that posted appears to have a kid at Chows. 🤷‍♀️
No. She was tagged in the story and reposted it to reply. Lots of gymnasts reply like that in instagram stories when people tag them.

I literally just mass unfollowed most of the gymnasts I was following during Winter Cup because they were all resharing the same stories over and over of people telling them good job emoji emoji yay woo etc. and I got tired of clicking through it all lol.

Wasn't Gabby also training at Chris Waller's gym, Gym Jam, after the 2012 Olympics and before she went to Buckeye?
She was at Gym Jam before going back to Chow's in 2014. I think Gym Jam was always understood to be a temporary stop.

Gabby Douglas leaving WOGA was so predictable. We all know how the next few months will go down. Gabby will qualify to nationals, make it to trials off a mediocre nationals performance, then pull everything together at the last minute. She'll be selected to the team on her bars strength plus all-around potential.

Sounds smart, best case scenario, hope she arrives at the Olympics uninjured and performs her best ever

My assumption was that Scott contacted Anna in the wake of Gabby withdrawing, to try to get the scoop on what was going on, and Anna has told him nothing other than Gabby is no longer at WOGA
Or maybe it went like:
S: Hi Anna, how does Gabby feel? Is she getting better?
A: I would have loved to ask her for you, but she just left.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back