Figure Skating Thread (Olympic Spoilers/Discussion starting at post #16)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Even in the event Kamila’s points get nullified and only the ladies’ SP/FS pts get reallocated, Canada still gets a medal.

I can’t imagine a scenario where Russia moves to 3rd. They would consider bronze more insulting than no medal.

WOW… was not expecting this. Sad but we’ll get to see Valieva’s beautiful skating in exhibition

I must say, she has not looked anywhere near as good this season as in the past. I know she’s had some injuries, but it definitely seems like a different level of athlete.

Meanwhile, Tuktamysheva has looked every bit the same.

So…

I mean, Eteri’s oldest success was 19 year-old Tursynbaeva in 2019, but she left Eteri to train with Brian Orser for 3 years. She was training quads in Canada, but never competed them. In 2018, she moved back to Eteri, put her quad in competition and became the first senior ratified quad at 2019 worlds where she won her silver medal. Then she quietly retired after showing up for one competition the following season and then never being able to regain her form after developing a chronic back injury.

She is naturally tiny, which I think is what helped her survive one adult season with Eteri.

Tursynbaeva had to leave Eteri because the ministry of sport decided that state employed coaches could not coach athletes representing other countries. They then allowed it once again

No she doesn’t look as good, but let’s be honest… why should she? She’s still in decent enough form to be competitive internationally… if she makes the Russian team…. If they’re allowed to compete. I know I wouldn’t kill myself to be in that kind of shape to skate at home for nothing.

Commenting on the ban they’re seeking… really?? What is the point of a protected person status if you’re seeking the same punishment as if she wasn’t a minor at the time.

At this point even if Russia is allowed at worlds, her CAS case is likely not going to be settled by then so it would be foolish of Russia, in my i opinion, to send her, even if they can, in case the decision doesn’t go in her favor.

Reactions: MRR
Wait: there is still a chance Russia could be allowed at 2023 Worlds? I somehow assumed that was a done deal.

I do agree that her punishment should account for the fact that she was a minor.

It’s a ban indefinitely… like it hasn’t been said so officially for Worlds next year, but who knows. I don’t follow skating enough to know what sort of hoops they’d have to jump through to get athletes re-qualified if you will.

I just know they were dropped from the Grand Prix season.

I could be wrong, but I think Russia would get one spot per discipline if they were allowed back in, provided minimum scores (no problem for them) and such. I believe that is the allocation for groups that did not place skaters high enough at the previous worlds for two or three spots.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’ve been wondering that. How would any athletes from any countries who weren’t at the previous worlds go to worlds if there wasn’t some sort of clause?

Last edited:

So, what does this mean for the Olympics?
Will Valieva receive a ban AND will it extend to the time of the Olympics?

That’s for the IOC to decide. It’s technically possible for her to be stripped of national titles but not international ones

RUSADA cleared Valieva of wrongdoing so she doesn’t face a ban (from them).

Absolutely everyone saw it coming!

This doesn’t mean anything for the Olympics yet because WADA will inevitably appeal to CAS. The appeal isn’t officially announced in this statement but it’s gonna happen.

Last edited:
So they took away her national title for doping but not a ban??

Odd

Last edited:
It’s RUSADA’s idea of looking tough on doping. They punished her in a way that preserves her European title and the Olympics team gold. Maria Sotskova received similar treatment a few years ago.

Is it odd though? She was punished for the day of the test but since they’re saying there was no fault of hers… she’s not punished beyond that but they nullified the results on that day.

Isn’t that how the IOC/CAS came to the Raducan decision?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back