Figure Skating Thread (Olympic Spoilers/Discussion starting at post #16)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It isn’t fact. You are saying that Kamila herself made it up. We can’t know 100% for sure, but it’s incredibly unlikely it was her suggestion, she’s 15. She repeated a lie.

And no, they wouldn’t have needed any knowledge about her grandfather’s health. There’s zero proof he was taking that medication, or indeed has a heart condition. There’s zero proof she spent time with him, or indeed that she even has a grandfather

Last edited:
but it’s incredibly unlikely it was her suggestion, she’s 15. She repeated a lie.
I think we can agree to this. Technically, she was complicit in the lie. She said it. But given the circumstances, her age, the regime she’s training in; I don’t think anyone can blame her. It’s not like she could or even should have done anything else.

Where’s that beating dead horse emoji when you need it?
beating a dead horse wtf GIF

I haven’t followed skating regularly for a while. What’s the deal with the coverage?

Reactions: JDB
I think we can agree to this. Technically, she was complicit in the lie. She said it. But given the circumstances, her age, the regime she’s training in; I don’t think anyone can blame her. It’s not like she could or even should have done anything else.
yeah we can just stop this. Everybody’s positions are clear, and, I would say, actually the same.

I haven’t followed skating regularly for a while. What’s the deal with the coverage?
This will shock all the non-Americans on Gymnaverse (/s): a lawsuit is involved. Heavy Young Heathens is suing NBC over broadcasting their song during replays of Knierim/Frazier’s program. NBC is not distributing replays with music on any platform while the suit is pending.

No replays. You can watch all the Grand Prix events on Peacock, but if you don’t watch it live, you’re SOL because of the lawsuit over Knierim and Frazier’s short program music last year.

Last edited:
I honestly think it is ridiculous that NBC is doing no replays while the lawsuit is pending. Clearly it was an edge case for the music.

Wonder if the band thought it would drum up new fans? It would be interesting if they showed reruns and just overlayed Mozart or something over them. Or “generic rock’n’roll” “generic classical” etc. You could see if music choice really makes a difference or if they are just skating around the music. But at least we could see the skating if we didn’t catch it live.

I’m honestly surprised that this didn’t happen until lyrics were allowed across the board. Ice dancing has allowed lyrics for a while and the issue never came up.

tsarinajen said:
If they miss Worlds this season, as expected, they’re essentially out two years (two World Championships). How long does the ISU envision this punishment? I’m just asking hypothetically.
@tsarinajen Replying here to keep things on topic. I don’t think anyone at the ISU knows. At least I haven’t seen any public discussion of it.

WADA has formally gone to the Court of Arbitration to ask that Kamila be banned for four years starting from Dec. 2021 and all results from that time be annulled.

CAS’s decision will have an impact on the team medals. If they just vacate Kamila’s points, Russia finishes third. If they reallocate the points (aka, removed Kamila’s AND add 2 to everyone else), Canada finishes 3rd. And if they deem the whole Russian team ineligible, Canada again finishes 3rd.

We’ll see. This is the same CAS that allowed Kamila to compete in the Ladies singles event, because banning here "“would cause her irreparable harm in the circumstances.” Trying to guess how they’ll rule is 🤷‍♀️

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back