Figure Skating Thread (Olympic Spoilers/Discussion starting at post #16)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It’s the most rehearsed bullshit excuse, for sure.

At least they’re not contesting the results of the lab test. That’s something.

It is the most “do you really expect me to believe that fucking bullshit story?” I’ve heard in quite some time.
I follow MMA. The “explanations” (including ones coming from USADA) are far less believable than a 15 year-old taking her grandfather’s meds. Her story is still not believable, but I consider it “normal” for BS explanations.

It is, isn’t it? I was actually laughing originally, because on the face of it that is a pretty funny excuse… then on thinking about it, this is actually the programme trying to throw a child under the bus. Keeping it classy there.

Does Russia literally think we believe it? Or they’re just playing the game of “who? what? me?!” again

It’s an attempt to shift all the blame to Valieva, desperate to avoid a deeper investigation into the responsibility of her coaches and medical staff.
Ah, yes, this makes perfect sense from their point of view of course. This is why I’m not a lawyer at all lol

Would loooove to see the shortlist of potential excuse options if “I must have accidentally ingested my grandfather’s angina medication oops” was the most plausible.

It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so gross.

I’m just… I can’t. My six-year old was so entranced by the skating events and I wanted this to be fun for her. This kid has lived through a global pandemic and the backlash against Black Lives Matter (she’s half-Asian). Selfishly, I just want the Olympics to be a fun escapist fantasy like it was during my childhood. I’ve explained everything else, I don’t want to have to explain why Russians cheat.

I’m whining, I know… but why can’t we have nice things?

Last edited:
Apparently Jonny and Tara said nothing during her routine, except for just plainly saying the names of the jumps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. I just can’t watch. Maybe it’s naive to think not watching makes any difference. Plus I’d be angry at the kid the whole time and I don’t need to be ill-wishing someone should is probably a victim of a sleazy sports federation.

Apparently Jonny and Tara said nothing during her routine, except for just plainly saying the names of the jumps.
I appreciate knowing that. They did give an interview yesterday explaining why they so strongly disagree with the decision to let Valieva compete. I’m still not quite sure how much to explain to my daughter.

This was the first year that I have paid to have full access to the Olympics and I haven’t watched since the scandal broke. If the IOC/ISU do not care to impose serious consequences on cheaters there isn’t a lot of point to the games. It makes me sad.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back