Do you think some US gymnasts (Shannon Miller, Shawn Johnson, Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles) can be selected to carry the Olympic flame in LA 2028 open

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Iminhanoi

Reaction score
Do you think some US gymnasts (Shannon Miller, Shawn Johnson, Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles) can be selected to participate in the Olympic torch relay at LA 2028 opening ceremony?

My prediction: Shannon Miller/Shawn Johnson/Gabby Douglas/Simone Biles will be

Simone Biles even has chance to be chosen as the last runner and have the honour of lighting the Olympic cauldron at the opening ceremony. Either her or Michael Phelps will be chosen.

In Olympic Paris 2024 opening ceremony this year, Émilie Le Pennec was one of the French athletes to participated in the Olympic torch relay. She won gold medal in Uneven Bars at Athens 2004.

oly-paris-2024-opening.webp

Last edited:
Do you think some US gymnasts (Shannon Miller, Shawn Johnson, Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles) can be selected to carry the Olympic flame in LA 2028 opening ceremony?

My prediction: Shannon Miller, Shawn Johnson, Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles will be

Simone Biles even has chance to be chosen as the last runner and have the honour of lighting the Olympic cauldron at the opening ceremony. Either her or Michael Phelps will be chosen.
Surprised you didn’t mention Mary Lou and the return to Los Angeles for the Olympics lol

I think at least one of the Magnificent 7 will be part of it; they usually go for athletes from further back. However, after LA, it'll be a very long time before the USA hosts another Summer Games, so they may very well ask Simone and Katie Ledecky. The answer will depend on whether they're competing or not.

Ledecky has stated that she intends to compete in LA.
Biles has not made that statement. So we shall see.

IMO I think both will be competing in LA. A home Olympics is hard to pass up.

That's what I think. Usually neither of them will go to the Opening Ceremony but I think they'll make an exception to participate if they're asked.

I think at least one of the Magnificent 7 will be part of it; they usually go for athletes from further back. However, after LA, it'll be a very long time before the USA hosts another Summer Games, so they may very well ask Simone and Katie Ledecky. The answer will depend on whether they're competing or not.
Most of athletes who have lit the Olympic cauldron already retired (Marie-José Pérec, Li Ning)

The Olympic cauldron will absolutely be lit by Phelps.
Unless someone develops a more compelling story between now and then (like if Serena Williams loses a leg and comes back to participate at the paralympics), I agree. But if Simone is actually retired, I could see having her handoff to him or being the one to bring it into the stadium (or wherever the largest crowd is if they do an outside-the-stadium cauldron).

Couldn't they do something new, like two (retired) athletes (Phelps & Biles) litting the cauldron together? That would be spectacular, man and woman, white and black, both GOAT.
(of course, depending if Simone is retired by then)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back