China to host 2027 World Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Passion

Dong'an Lake Sports Park.png

Chengdu, China

The same city that just hosted the 2023 University Games.

Tentatively scheduled for Sept 23 - Oct 7, during the National Day holidays.

Last edited:
2025 worlds are just not a very attractive proposition. Anyone would think it's a bad idea to piss about with the format for an event that historically doesn't tend to have a lot of takers.

Presumably they thought by theoretically reducing the cost the format change would improve the lack of bidders situation. The downside is it's a terrible format for any country with a decent gymnastics team, why would they want to host an event they can't have a proper team at?

There was a rumour Indonesia wanted it. The format might make sense for them because they don't really have a full team of Worlds-standard gymnasts.

Well, that's tempting. Go for the gymnastics and eat my way through the city in between competitions.

I think they need to change up the format of he after Olympics Worlds.
I would add in a team competition, just the 8 teams that made team finals at the Olympics the year before. That can be the final subdivision. 4 up 3 count scenario. The other countries can have 3 athletes each at 2 per apparatus. Something to spice it up.

Presumably they thought by theoretically reducing the cost the format change would improve the lack of bidders situation. The downside is it's a terrible format for any country with a decent gymnastics team, why would they want to host an event they can't have a proper team at?

There was a rumour Indonesia wanted it. The format might make sense for them because they don't really have a full team of Worlds-standard gymnasts.
If the Jakarta rumour going round is true, that would be a really interesting development.

I would love to see an MAG/WAG combined team even the year after the Olympics. I feel like it would be a nice change, attract lots of attention, and be an appropriate way to handle the post-Olympic year of change.

3 men and 3 women from each country would be a very entertaining concept and ticks a number of boxes ie minimal numbers of participants/days of competition and considers that many countries lack depth in the post Olympic year

I would love to see an MAG/WAG combined team even the year after the Olympics. I feel like it would be a nice change, attract lots of attention, and be an appropriate way to handle the post-Olympic year of change.
Word. I fully agree.

José M.

3 men and 3 women from each country would be a very entertaining concept and ticks a number of boxes ie minimal numbers of participants/days of competition and considers that many countries lack depth in the post Olympic year
That's definitely part of my thinking. I also think it would be fine to invite, say, 16 contenders per apparatus based on World Cup events to get some apparatus finals in there, too.

There is a combined team event at Trampoline and Tumbling. Its always really fun and interesting to watch.

Additionally to the mixed team event, it doesn't have to be about total scores adding up to make the team total, but rather, you get certain points for how your gymnast finishes on an event.
In T&T its 5 points for 1st place, 4 points for 2nd place, 3 points for 3rd, 2 points for 4th, and 1 point for 5th.

The mixed team event across multiple disciplines was really exciting to watch. The points system equalises everything so piling on D score doesn’t help as much. The roulette wheel that is synchro also keeps things lively!

Wow. It’s hella expensive to fly to China. Guess that’s one I won’t be going to.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back