Changes you’d like to see in the 2025-2028 Code

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

You said you wrote up a Code of Points. Can you share that?
It’s on a previous hard drive that likely won’t be fully recovered, I will probably have to write it all again if I care to. Hard work that seems fruitless, given the tiny chance of FIG implementing a total code overhaul.

I wonder how many people here would even read it. In a recent post where I wrote exactly how the NCAA Uneven Bars code should be changed (without even straying from the current overall system), most people just said “that’s too complicated.” A full FIG code re-write is 20x longer…
That’s a long post with no actual recommendations.
I gave several. What point is there in listing a few more of the skill value changes or deduction changes or routine composition rules, when it’s the entire system that needs those modifications? Unless FIG is open to using 0.05 increments and greatly reducing the amount of deduction taken in general, along with other widespread changes, then it’s going to remain a flawed system.

Regarding artistry, we seem to have a general consensus that it shouldn’t just be a “yes/no” checklist and that it should be focused on being more “additive” than negative. Whatever the artistry amount is worth, the important thing is judges properly separating the routines and rewarding truly beautiful work. Gymnasts should be incentivized to perform for the crowd, to show personality, to show creativity, and create the most visually pleasing routine.

It’s most complex on Floor, since music is involved. Musicality should be very important and is one of the things that has gone down the drain most, but also Artistry in Floor routines is something that Gymnastics has yet to fully tap into. Giving true expression and emotion to every note of music is something we’ve never seen yet, and emotions like “sadness” or “anguish” are something gymnasts have rarely even tried to express in an Floor routine. It’s definitely possible and I would love to see routines be rewarded for emotional depth and for choreography that moves TO the music at every moment. Someone should choose to do a wolf turn (or any given move) in a routine specifically because that’s how it best interprets the music, and if that’s not the case, then the move should not be there.

That’s actually an instance where a “deduction judging” mindset is relevant. At any given moment in a Floor routine, if a gymnast does something that betrays the music and is only there for technical requirement (or for an overly long breather), then inherently it could be better. Let’s see a routine where someone actually makes a wolf turn musical.

I think some of the Soviet routines in the mid-80s might fit the idea of showing emotion and interpreting the music. In fact, a number of them qualify. We have a non-zero number of recent routines that I would put in that box, as well. Brooklyn Moores’ routines, for example.

@makam @RAFIKI and anyone else — I started setting up a template. I will set up the scoring and all that soon, but if others want to continue listing elements, that would be cool.

Last edited:
Would this work?

A penalty system where by if you failed to score X in your E score, you receive X off your D score.

It would avoid situations like gymnasts still medalling despite a fall or major error and it would properly discourage the inclusion of elements that are causing more in deductions than they gain in bonus.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back