Carly Patterson

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yeah, I remember she did something like celebrity duets and her partner was Jesse McCartney (I’m pretty she got eliminated first and Carlton from Fresh Prince won). How tf do I remember random irrelevant mess like this but can’t remember what I ate for breakfast smh.

Because MLR was the first American Olympic AA champion (as contested as it is with the boycott) and insanely marketable in 1984 with that signature smile. As popular as WAG is in the Olympics, we haven’t seen gymnasts get the sort of sponsorships and endorsements to turn them into household names like MLR. Shawn Johnson was being prepped to get that sort of attention, but then didn’t end up winning any of the golds she was expected to aside from the BB one handed to her when Li Shanshan Yang Bo’ed up her routine. Simone is a household name because of her accomplishments, but AFAIK, hasn’t been swimming in endorsement deals other than the one with Nike then Athleta.

I saw her in an orthodontist commercial after Rio… 😉

I remember Carly for a couple of things: (1) her beam; and (2) her, “that’s too bad,” quip after the Romanian gymnast fell during the 2003 Worlds. That unscripted line still makes me smile when I think about it!

I love how Carly was always about her LipSmackers sparkly lip gloss and putting it on right before media/interviews 😂 😂

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 9.53.03 AM

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back