British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

As much as she frustrates me, I’m very happy that Georgia Mae is basically now a lock. Not many gymnasts finally become an Olympian at the 3rd Olympics they were eligible for. I can only think of Hatch, Bhardwaj and Skinner
Also Danusia Francis.

The big question for GB now is whether they'll want Martin or Morgan as the 5th (as an aside, it's really rude of the universe to make the pair of them have such similar names. I've already had to hastily edit one post because of it).

I suspect the Euros decision was as much about practicalities as anything else, so we can't necessarily infer anything from it. Abi Martin matches Ruby's strengths very closely, so she could end up doing anything between 0 and 3 events in the Euros TF. I hope she's used at least once though, even if it happens that she isn't top 3 on anything in qualifying. Vault, at minimum.

If there was more time before selection, enough for Amelie to do a world cup or something, I think her chances would be higher. But she's not been in front of an international panel this quad. So it'll be a question of balancing that against Amelie's strength on beam.

Also Danusia Francis.

The big question for GB now is whether they'll want Martin or Morgan as the 5th (as an aside, it's really rude of the universe to make the pair of them have such similar names. I've already had to hastily edit one post because of it).

I suspect the Euros decision was as much about practicalities as anything else, so we can't necessarily infer anything from it. Abi Martin matches Ruby's strengths very closely, so she could end up doing anything between 0 and 3 events in the Euros TF. I hope she's used at least once though, even if it happens that she isn't top 3 on anything in qualifying. Vault, at minimum.

If there was more time before selection, enough for Amelie to do a world cup or something, I think her chances would be higher. But she's not been in front of an international panel this quad. So it'll be a question of balancing that against Amelie's strength on beam.
Even if Abi Martin does well at euros, she’s so inexperienced that it’s likely to just be a fluke. Where as Amelie Morgan not only has considerable international experience, but she also has the college of experience of competing every week and hitting.

Well, fuck. GB gymnastics is so frustrating because you see them on the rise, then they have a sharp fall. Another rise, including a historic bronze in Tokyo, and now this.

Hell of an opportunity for a country like Italy, which I'm sure will respond by grinding its own athletes into the ground.
Yes, presumably the Italian federation are watching the goings on from Aylesbury with seething envy. In a few weeks, they'll ask for their beer to be held.
Even if Abi Martin does well at euros, she’s so inexperienced that it’s likely to just be a fluke. Where as Amelie Morgan not only has considerable international experience, but she also has the college of experience of competing every week and hitting.
Amelie's best card might be that her delivering a 13+ on beam represents GBs only real chance, however small, at a team medal.

Abi Martin is doing well as a new senior and I don't actually think a good showing at Euros from her would be a fluke at all. However... she doesn't contribute anything that isn't already there with the other four. She's inconsistent on beam and will probably get in the 12s for a hit set, like Becky and Ruby. She has a decent Yurchenko 1.5, but so does GMF. She can break 13 internationally on floor on a good day, but so can GMF.

Whereas it's possible to conceive of Amelie being able to deliver a mid 13s beam set with a couple more months of elite training. I'm not saying this will happen, nor that GB would get bronze even if she did. Just that I can see how it might be more attractive than choosing a 5th to essentially shore up a TFs place.

They don't have a whole lot of experience, period, correct? Aren't' they fairly new at this level?
the twins are their first gymnasts who’ve gone beyond say, Level 8 equivalent. Ondine was already a national team member when she transferred from Sapphire (where Gabby Jupp trained). Around the same time, Sophie O’Flaherty also went there from Sapphire. She’s an elite, but not quite national team level.

Apparently Becky lost a whole thumbnail a couple of weeks ago, and had to have emergency surgery. Urgh. GB are absolutely world leading when it comes to manky injuries. Starting to think they're now in the repayment phase of whatever Faustian pact was made for the China vault rotation in 2021.
Ow. Ow. Ow. I cut about half my thumbnail off a few years ago (bad experience with a potato peeler) and I swear it was the worst pain I've ever had. Burns, broken bones, strep throat, steroid injections in my pelvic floor muscles--that damn thumbnail beat them all.

And I just heard about Ondine, what the serious f? 😳

Yes one of the Juniors is out too, they have flown a reserve out. Another injury at the training camp which is worse than first thought.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back