British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

How about a hefty fine to pay?
How often does being fined in gymnastics mean anything? Aren’t they fined for filing an unsubstantiated protest but USAG, especially during Marta’s time, filed them right and left, willy nilly.

I don’t know what sanctions are actually available, so this may be moot. But something that affected the people actually making the decisions, if that were possible, would have much more significance than sanctioning athletes who, when shit comes to shite, GB isn’t actually that bothered about anyway.

The IOC are clearly not going to be doing any points or medal docking, because GB are one of the biggest and most politically influential Olympic federations, so even if both athletes got kicked out of the Games altogether BG aren’t going to give much of a fuck. Unless they were actually needed for the team I suppose, but that might be moot anyway if there’s photographic and/or video evidence of them doing anything that might make them close contacts.

Added to this, BGs well documented issues with mistreatment of athletes and whisteblowers mean we can have no confidence that the gymnasts concerned could realistically refuse. Would anyone here be particularly surprised if the gymnasts involved were informed they either did what they were told or they could say goodbye to any future teams?

Protesting a score is not a fine but a fee. If you protest and the score is raised, you get your money back, which happened multiple times under Marta’s reign.

The fee is in place to discourage protesting a score for the sake of protesting the score, otherwise everyone would be doing it. If you contest the score and are wrong you lose the fee. Also, they have further discouraged just protesting scores with a potential penalization of score, as we saw with Eaker and Moors in/at 2019 Worlds. This is because the wealthier federations have the cash to spend on inquires whereas the smaller federations really struggle to pay fees to just attend.

The fine BG wuld pay would be a large amount more so than the $100 fee to protest a score.

Last edited:
What kind of punishment could they receive?

That is very harsh but I guess it would make sense to deduct points from the WAG and MAG team. Though neither are contenders for a team medal so it won’t really matter though. Which is why a major fine to the federation would be more appropriate.

Penalizing the gymnasts is wrong though, it’s not their fault or in any of their control.

I do agree it was very clear deceit.

Honestly, I would not have a problem with them banning the gymnasts, sending them home immediately. There is no way they did not know they shouldn’t be there. And that is the kind of punishment that would make all future athletes say “no” when some functionary tells them, “It’s okay that your accreditation says coach and not athlete, trust me!”

And then levy a heavy fine on the country’s olympic committee. Make the olympic committee pissed as hell that BG got them into a situation where they have to pay that kind of money.

The same thing happened to plenty of Russian athletes who were banned because their government cheated in doping control. And I’m not stepping up for the Russians by any means, They cheated, they pay the price. And anyone in that system may face consequences, too.

EDIT: But probably nothing wil happen. I mean what punishment did the US Get for their men’s team trying out the Worlds equipment in 2003 days before qualifications ? Not much, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would not have a problem with them banning the gymnasts, sending them home immediately. There is no way they did not know they shouldn’t be there. And that is the kind of punishment that would make all future athletes say “no” when some functionary tells them, “It’s okay that your accreditation says coach and not athlete, trust me!”
That was my first thought

EDIT: But probably nothing wil happen. I mean what punishment did the US Get for their men’s team trying out the Worlds equipment in 2003 days before qualifications ? Not much, if I remember correctly.
Never heard about this

Yes, there’s nothing like being connived out of an Olympic spot and deceived into competing days after your brother’s sudden death to provide an incentive. Be realistic.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back