British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Frags posted something similarly cryptical about things “she can’t control”. Along the same lines as Becky.

Given Frags also doesn’t typically do AA anymore, maybe there’s something there…

Last edited:
How intriguing. I want to know more!

Tried to discuss it with my mother, but she is absorbed in a documentary about counterfeit cosmetics. It is a very high brow afternoon in my household.

I imagine Becky would find the lack of a +1 quite distressing even if it doesn’t come with AA expectations. She wouldn’t have to worry about anything but staying healthy to have gotten the +1. That is certainly not the case now.

Well obviously the Selectors have told them something this week in the light of not getting the +1 at Euros.

She was going to be on the Euros team until a scary training fall.

Wrt Becky, I suppose vault and floor is the obvious conclusion to jump to. Much as I don’t think she needs to be an AAer to justify a spot on the team, it would be understandable if they wanted her to have watered down insurance routines on vault and floor, just in case they were needed to make TFs. If one of the other three went down then I’d assume any chance at a team medal evaporates, but the funding would still require them to make top 8. Remember that GB’s TF qualification record this quad, admittedly with much weaker teams than we hope Tokyo will be, is one near miss and one barely squeaked qualification.

That said, emphasis on ‘insurance’: insisting on a DTY over an FTY might well be counterproductive, for example.

I guess it wasn’t too long ago (in TF terms anyway, feels like more than five years ago to me!) that GB had to deal with an incomplete routine in quals when Ellie had that scary floor fall in Rio. Contingency plans might be higher up on their minds. I just rewatched it because I’m a glutton for punishment, amazing she tried to continue for so long.

Becky has tweeted “With this one, you broke me” this morning.

Holy shit. They’re not taking becky?

That’s really fucking stupid. I’m legit mad.

“Baffled” - Helen is her mum.

Maybe they’re using minimum scores on each event as a requirement for selection?

The decision isn’t until the 11th, so I wonder if it might be about bad signs rather than the actual team choice.

Her mum also wrote “Next stop Tokyo” so I wouldn’t read too much into it yet.
The optics of leaving either Downie off the team would be awful though, considering that they:
a) are reigning world medalists and
b) spoke out about abusive practices in BG not too long ago.

There’s also the point that one of Becky’s main competitors for a bars medal is evidently having injury issues that could be managed better. It’s going to be gut wrenching if Lee misses out on Tokyo because they tried to push other events and hard landings too early, but it increasingly wouldn’t be a great surprise. This is the sort of thing the selectors need to be keeping an eye on.

I literally can’t see the reason for not taking her.

Is she still doing her 2019 floor routine? That’s more than enough.

Maybe they’re asking her to do vaults and she just doesn’t want to vault? Even a layout. Maybe their requirement is that you must show an AA score at the final Trial?

It is 4-4-3 in TQ, so it is beneficial to have 4 up on each event so you can drop a score.

That said, if Becky has her DTY back and hits UB and BB to full potential, a score in the 12.5-12.6 on FX would enough to surpass the Gadirova twins IMO.

I think the talk is that Becky isn’t even training vault, and doesn’t want to, for fear of getting injured for the millionth time.

I’ve not seen any Becky vault videos for yonks.

But I wonder if they’re forcing her to vault to even be considered for selection.

She can’t just pull a great DTY out of her ass Rich. That’s a big vault. Some of the top US AA girls struggle to make a DTY. And Becky’s feet have been a constant issue for literally ten years. She might be adamant that she doesn’t want to vault.

Last edited:
She did a FTY at Worlds in 2019 and I thought I read somewhere that she had trained DTY and had it back. But maybe I am totally making that last part up in my brain. LOL.

The only place I’ve read about her having a DTY is from irichluck21 on WWGym tbh

I have a former friend who loved vaguebooking. It got to be super tiresome so we are former friends. I get that she might not be allowed to say more, but in that case, don’t say anything. The tweet could be about anything from a pedicure issue to Olympic selection and those “in the know” already know and the rest are just wildly speculating.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back