British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Yeah two AA in front of FIG judges on podium, plus three medals (inc a 55+ AA) should trump anything that she might do or not do in the final Cardiff trial. Especially as Christine said she won two recent trials/intrasquads (Alice won the other).

This got me thinking about the bizarre scenario both Gadirovas might find themselves in of competing in an Olympics before their first senior nationals (cancelled last year and postponed to Nov this year). That’s gotta be pretty unusual. Most other countries don’t have new seniors in contention or will (covid willing) be having nationals.

ETA
In her interview with Matt Baker she said she hopes her sister will be with her in Tokyo. Understandably very confident.

Last edited:
Why are they choosing the team so early? That seems strange, especially if their best vaulter and AA ever isn’t at 100%. Honestly the Downiest and Gadirovas make the most sense on paper, but I question if it will look that way after the early Trials. Japan hasn’t even named its team yet!

Is it both teams being chosen so early? I wonder if British team focused on individuals vs team would affect the direction the US men’s committee goes for that team.

It really does! I wondered if it might be do with Euros being so early this year, as they’re often late May/June in an Olympic year, and normally Euros is going to form part of the selection criteria. But they were in April in 2008, and I’m sure they chose then in around late June/early July.

My best guess is maybe they want to also do as well as possible at worlds, so would prefer the athletes who aren’t going to need to peak for Tokyo to be aware of this as soon as possible. But that’s massive guesswork, for all I know they want to send the same teams for both.

I’m curious about the status of GMF, Taeja James and Kelly Simm (though I know she has been recovering from an injury) because I’ll admit I was surprised when Phoebe was named to the Euros team over them. As they’ve had better results than Phoebe over this quad.

Perhaps because Fenton and James were ineligible to obtain a +1 they chose not to send them?
Both Ellie and Becky didn’t go either and neither did Kinsella.
They had Jessica, Jennifer, and Amelie that could secure a +1 so they could have sent Becky for an UB medal if they wanted.

Simm had surgery fairly recently (I think within the last year or so?) so may still be coming back.
Fenton has posted some training videos recently, so is definitely still training. Taeja, I don’t know.

I’m more curious about Ondine.

Alice Kinsella was at Euros, she didn’t have her best day in prelims and didn’t make any finals. It was actually Alice’s inclusion in the Euros team that made me curious as to the status of GMF, Taeja and Kelly. Though I do know that the BG selectors seem to love putting Alice on teams, for potentially coaching related reasons.

ETA: I don’t think Alice was a great choice for the Euros team because she has had so much experience this quad (think her Tokyo chances were actually hurt attending). If BG were happy with having a gymnast there who couldn’t earn the +1 (which was never going to be Phoebe tbh), then I think GMF or particularly Taeja would have been a better choice for the team if they were looking good/ready.

Last edited:
Taeja has moved to training at Notts, I think she was following Jody Kime who is now the women’s HC there. (junior/senior squad member Lucy Lewis also moved there, but she seems to have gone to Park Wrekin??).

I’m curious about Ondine too, hopefully she’ll be in contention for Worlds.

Oh. My error.
Europeans roster changed so much for GBR that I overlooked her completely.
NOT good that she had a poor day and made no finals. Beam would really have been her chance to shine and prove that she needs to be included on the team for that event, especially as a former European champ. A second title would really have benefitted her.

Worth pointing out that the reason Alice’s Euros were a washout is because of one routine only. Had she hit beam in prelims, which was as realistic a possibility as it can be for any Brit, this discussion might look very different. She would’ve made the AA final ahead of Jessica and qualified to beam too. The bronze in both would have been there for the taking, staying on her feet would’ve done it.

I’m not saying it wasn’t a missed opportunity, or that she did herself any favours at all. It would also have been legitimate to only send athletes who weren’t on the 2019 worlds team, or who needed the experience. But it’s clear why they might have viewed her as a medal contender: she was.

No one is forcing her.

She was training FX and VT in 2019 IIRC she had a FTY at Worlds and she also did a 2 pass FX routine. With a Memmel, triple turn, ADF, and 1 1/2 to 2 1/2.

The team strategy should have her anchor all events. She’s gonna be used for UB and BB.
If 3 before her hit their VTs, she can scratch or just do a FTY. Same with FX, go up last and if 3 before her hit, Becky can scratch.

That said, if her DTY is as good as it was in the past and she nails UB and BB, I wouldn’t be surprised to see her qualify to the AA final. Jess Gadirova went 55.100 at Europeans. Kinsella was 54.756 at 2019 Worlds AA final.

So say if Becky scored
VT: 14.30 (DTY- rumored she has it again)
UB: 15.00 (2019 World UB final)
BB: 13.50 (2019 World Team Final)
That is a 42.800
If you compare that to Gadirova and Kinsella, Becky would need 12.30 to beat Gadirova and 11.965 respectively, on FX in order to surpass those AA totals. Both scores are doable with a basic two pass, excellently executed FX.

This routine would easily surpass both those marks IMO. Though the Memmel is a bit suspect.

Last edited:
Becky isn’t needed to do the AA. Both the Gadirova girls are capable of doing AA and scoring better than her. So what the heck is that tweet about? I hate it when people post cryptic messages.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back