British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yeah she did a DLO to knees in the 2019 Euros AA and took it out for floor finals.

Georgia Mae-Fenton - Balance Beam

Acro

4 x D (back handspring stepout mount, aerial, side aerial, double tuck)
1 x C (layout stepout)

Total Acro DV - 1.9

Dance

1 x E (Mitchell)
1 x D (double turn in tuck stand)
1 x C (switch leap)

Total Dance DV - 1.2

CV / Series Bonus

switch leap + split leap + full turn with leg in Y scale (C + B + C) = 0.1 SB

Total CV / SB = 0.1

CR

Dance Series - switch leap + split leap
Turn - full turn with leg in Y scale
Acro Series with Salto - back handspring stepout + layout stepout
Acro Elements in Different Directions - back handspring stepout, aerial

Total D - 3.1 + 0.1 + 2.0 = 5.2

Deductions

switch leap + split leap
  • (poor rhythm of connection) 0.1
split leap
  • (insufficient split - between 0 and 20 degrees) 0.1
layout stepout
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
Mitchell
  • (lack of precision / loss of balance during turn) 0.1
  • (medium balance adjustment) 0.3
double turn in tuck stand
  • (lack of precision / loss of balance during turn) 0.1
aerial
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (bent knee) 0.1
  • (small balance adjustment) 0.1
side aerial
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (adjustment) 0.1
double tuck
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (body posture on landing, chest forward) 0.1
  • (hop on landing) 0.1
Total - 1.6

Artistry
  • (Lack of side choreography) 0.1
  • Insufficient complexity or creativity in the movements) 0.1
Total E - 8.2 / -1.8

Last edited:

Jessica Gadirova - Balance Beam

Acro

1 x E (double pike dismount)
3 x D (candle mount, aerial, side aerial)
1 x C (layout stepout)

Total Acro DV - 2.0

Dance

1 x D (switch leap 1/2)
1 x C (switch leap)
1 x B (split leap)

Total Dance DV - 0.9

CV / Series Bonus

aerial + split jump (D + B, mixed) = 0.1 CV

back handspring stepout + layout stepout + layout stepout (B + C + C(0)) = 0.1 CV + 0.1 SB

switch leap + switch leap 1/2 + back tuck (C + D + C) = 0.2 CV + 0.1 SB

Total CV / SB = 0.6

CR

Dance Series - straddle jump + wolf jump
Turn - full turn
Acro Series with Salto - back handspring stepout + layout stepout + layout sepout
Acro Elements in Different Directions - back handspring stepout, aerial

Total D - 2.9 + 0.6 + 2.0 = 5.5

Downgrades

aerial + split jump
  • Slight hesitation before moving into the demi plie for the split jump, and slow moving into the takeoff for the split jump. I think it would also be reasonable to credit the connection and deduct for tempo.
Total D - 2.9 + 0.5 + 2.0 = 5.4

Deductions

aerial
  • (bent knee) 0.1
split jump
  • (medium balance error) 0.3
layout stepout
  • (adjustment / foot slid back) 0.1^
switch leap + switch leap 1/2
switch leap 1/2
switch leap 1/2 + back tuck
back tuck
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (body posture on landing, chest forward) 0.1^
side aerial
  • (small balance adjustment) 0.1
double pike
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (large step on landing) 0.3
Total - 1.6 - 1.8

^ Denotes borderline, valid position for a judge to not deduct

Artistry
  • Insufficient complexity or creativity in the movements) 0.1
Total E - 8.1 - 8.3 / -1.7 - 1.9

I replied to your point in the spreadsheet. I’m happy to credit or not credit. It’s truly borderline. It was a great cover.

What’s your E score? I can put these all in the spreadsheet if u want? I know you’re giving a range ha

So essentially, even without performing again, Becky makes the highest scoring team anyway based on the 14.3 she already showed at a previous trial.

And with her 6.8 D score - a 14.3 is a pretty poor score. She could pretty much fall and still score a 14 if she hits the rest of her set.

Last edited:

This might be selectively edited, but the difference between the two sets of bars is crazy.

Are they STILL making her Trial on Gymnova?!

Much as Becky is now an even bigger potential nuisance than she was a week ago (she’s now going to have the ear of the planet if she wins a medal) part of me wonders whether they might say she’s done enough and name her to the team based on her 14.3 being in the highest scoring lineup. It’s arguably the path of least resistance. And I’m not sure I see BG being particularly bothered to go to bat for Morgan, GMF or Onadine. Just tell the three of them they’re on the worlds team instead.

I think Amelie Morgan should still be considered. And I was really quite impressed with GMF on the videos. And small thing but its Ondine.

Was there ever a reason given for why the trials would be on gymnova equipment and not the Tokyo equipment? It just makes no sense to me.

Seconded. Literally still have no idea, other than “Alice had to switch to Speith for Euros so…”

Last edited:
A good call from BG here I think. Hopefully Ellie gets what she needs from the time away and Becky is able to participate as fully as she wishes to.

Very sad for Ellie, but given her injuries and now this devastation I am sure it was an easy choice for her.

Kinsella and Jessica are locks for the team at this point.

It’s actually a decently crafted statement.
Following the tragic news the Downie family received last week on the eve of the final Olympic trials in Cardiff we felt it important in such an unprecedented situation to take time to look at how we might be able to grant an extension to the selection window to allow for a further opportunity to complete the trial. In such difficult circumstances we feel strongly that this is the right thing to do.

After careful consideration and consultation an offer was extended to put in place a delay to the planned nomination and selection process that was due to commence on Monday 10th May and provide an additional opportunity whereby, we will create an additional “event” - matching as much as possible with the status and regulations of the Cardiff trials - which Becky Downie has chosen to take up as an option. We will now be working with Becky on the scheduling and arrangements for this in due course. Ellie is taking some time away from the sport to be with her family and would appreciate if everyone could respect her privacy during this time.

What this means for the overall selection is that there will be a delay to the women’s nomination meeting and following the appeals window we now expect to announce the team early June. The men’s team will continue to be announced at the end of May and our trampoline line up in June.

In what will continue to be an extremely difficult time for Becky, Ellie and the Downie family we will be providing them with all the support and space they may need. We’d like to also commend the professionalism of their fellow gymnasts who competed so well in Cardiff in what has been an extremely difficult time for everyone and equally we will be supporting them all through this selection journey in the coming weeks.

“ we will create an additional “event” - matching as much as possible with the status and regulations of the Cardiff trials”

Is this part code for, “you will will still have to compete on the Gymnova set, Becky”?

Ha exactly. That’s code for “yeah but you still gotta use Gymnova bars” which, given she HAS Olympic bars in her own gym, is just mindblowingly malevolent.

Depending on whether the additional event is just for Becky or open to everyone, I can see that it might be difficult to change the bars now.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back