American gymnast competing for Belgium

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Caligym

Defender
Thought about posting in the DTP competition thread buts since competition over started a new one. (Please feel free to move) This is a local news report about Mika Webster-Longin, the American gymnast with a Belgian father who competed for Belgium there.

Sounds like she has goals of competing for them at European championships and trying for 2028. Judging by her scores at DTP (she had some of Belgium’s highest scores) I would think she has a good chance to make European team. Are there more Belgian gymnasts in the mix, other then Nina obviously, who weren’t on the team at DTP?

https://www.ktvu.com/news/bay-area-high-school-gymnast-reaching-new-heights-dreams-of-olympics

I have a feeling we will see more American gymnasts with ability to represent other countries do so in the lead up to LA 2028.

I have a feeling we will see more American gymnasts with ability to represent other countries do so in the lead up to LA 2028.
that would make a lot of sense given that they might have to self fund if representing a smaller nation.

Yes there are more decent Belgian gymnast besides Nina Derwael:
  • Jutta Verkest (23rd at Tokyo)
  • Lisa Vaelen (3rd at vault EC 2023)
  • Maellys Brassart
  • Erika Pinxten
  • Aberdeen O'Driscoll (she will join UGA as of this summer)

Yes there are more decent Belgian gymnast besides Nina Derwael:
  • Jutta Verkest (23rd at Tokyo)
  • Lisa Vaelen (3rd at vault EC 2023)
  • Maellys Brassart
  • Erika Pinxten
  • Aberdeen O'Driscoll (she will join UGA as of this summer)
Would this group be considered the A team, and the B team was competing at DTB in Stuttgart?

Yes, except from Jade the other 3 competing at DTB is the B team. I don't know if Mika should be part of the A team or not. I guess time will tell.

A few days agobthere was a 1st National selection test to decide who can compete in euros. This was won by Maellyse Brassard, 2nd is Erika Pinxten (I think) and 3rd is Mika Webster.

No results are known. Info comes from instagram:

Given that Mika Webster-Longin will now compete at Euros, there was a short introduction. Apparantly she asked already last year to be part of belgian team. The coaches at that time answered that there are enough good gymnast and they don't need her.
It seems the belgian gymnast didn't know of her until 3 months ago. She participated twice in a training camp this year so far.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back