2025 Commits

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Not really. I don't think Gabby Douglas counts since she was a senior transfer.
She transferred to Buckeye because Fernando Villa moved from LA to Ohio. Gabby followed him there, she had previously trained with him at All Olympia when the Douglas family was living in LA.

Maybe she’s being far too optimistic with Cecile‘s coaching. I also hope that those who come mainly for elite don’t cause issues among the team.
I get the whole sentiment about "oh you're elite, so if you want to continue go to Cecile", but she is there to coach college gymnastics. NOT to coach girls wishing to continue elite and go for olympics. As a college athlete they can only train somewhere between 17-18 hours a week. I cant think of any modern college program that has had more than one girl straddle the elite and college world while training with their college coaches.

I get the whole sentiment about "oh you're elite, so if you want to continue go to Cecile", but she is there to coach college gymnastics. NOT to coach girls wishing to continue elite and go for olympics. As a college athlete they can only train somewhere between 17-18 hours a week. I cant think of any modern college program that has had more than one girl straddle the elite and college world while training with their college coaches.
Maybe they are thinking when Laurant joins Cecile in a year, they'll do the extra hours with him? Cecile for college, Laurant for the elite boost?

Yes. They have maximum hours with NCAA, but can always do more on their own.
Part of the reason why Brian Casey joined the staff at OSU was so he could work with Jade on her elite routines.

I hadn't really considered that possibility. That is going to make Georgia a huge draw in the coming years for gymnasts who would like to straddle both worlds, even if the jury is still out on it being practical and sustainable for an elite career.

Maybe they are thinking when Laurant joins Cecile in a year, they'll do the extra hours with him? Cecile for college, Laurant for the elite boost?

All the hours in the world is not going to transform Kelsie Woolford from barely qualifying US elite to world championship material.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back