2024 Russian Gymnastics Championships

2024 Russian Gymnastics Championships

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Okay, my bad. Clearly I misunderstood something I vaguely remember being said years ago
I can’t really think of any generation of Russian or Soviet gymnasts where anyone retired earlier than they wanted to due to the pressure to start a family. Tourischeva did 3 Olympics before getting married, to a fellow Olympian. The generation after that, who emigrated in significant numbers, all tended to wait until they’d left before starting a family.

The Sydney generation, Produnova was late 30s before she had a kid and Zamo doesn’t have any. Khorkina had her first son as a single woman, there’s a 15 year age gap between her children.

The 2 I can think of that are a bit stranger are Grishina and Mustafina. Grishina was 19, married with a kid within about a year of retiring. But given her family and financial situation, it’s not surprising. Mustafina’s marriage seems to have been a bit of a whirlwind romance, and I got the impression that her family weren’t all that keen, but did support her with childcare when she returned to training.

Last edited:
That is too bad. With covid and the world situation it feels like she never got a real moment. I liked her gymnastics more than Listunovas and would have been interested in seeing more.
Ditto. I loved the quality of her gymnastics (vault aside). I seem to go for the less-favoured of the Russian pairs (Grishina, Urazova). She was Queen of 4th place in 2021 but at least she got to be in an Olympic AA final.

Just read that Kustova and Glotova are not competing because they have had pneumonia. This was written on a blog site called “Rewriting Russian Gymnastics”.

I wonder why anyone is incentivizing her to perform a DTY that looks like that when there will be no international competition season for her this year. Unless that's the reason and they don't care if she gets injured? (I'm sure they care that she stays healthy, but it doesn't seem like it...)

As I mentioned previously, Listunova has grown a LOT. It wouldn’t surprise me if her back issues were part of that. Everything she did looked sluggish.

Moscow won the team title for men and women.

In the men’s competition, it was as tight as an international team final.

246.100 Moscow
245.850 Vladimir Oblast
245.550 Tatarstan

There is a lot of depth in the men’s program right now. Moscow team contains Nagornyy, Dalaloyan and Ablyazin, yet the other regions are competitive with them

For the women it was a more comfortable win for Moscow with 161.761. Again it was Vladimir Oblast in 2nd (155.863). 3rd was Krasnodar Krai (153.855)

I didn't even think it was possible to do a Yurchenko double full THAT badly and still not fall. That's an accomplishment!
Listunova has always had very quick twisting speed. Most people would not be able to complete two twists with such poor amplitude

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back