2023 Worlds Postmortem

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Hatsumomo

Defender
Brazil WAG and USA MAG have so much to be proud of.

I hope Andrade gets a huge confidence boost after these Worlds and comes to Paris at her best.

We finally see Saraiva get an individual medal on an event we weren’t expecting.

I hope DJDS really saw what she can do when she’s on and also gets a big confidence boost going into a home Olympics.

Jones was a rockstar here. I’m excited to see if she can commit to her upgrades and bring them to Paris.

Last edited:
FIVE medals for Rebeca Andrade in a single Worlds! That’s Simone-like, and speaking of her, she also got 5. The two of them dominated.

With her BB medal, Andrade now joins an elite group who have won World or Olympic medals in every category: TM, AA, and all 4 apparatus.

The FOURTH World BB title for Simone! No one else has more than two.

7 World and Olympic FX titles for Simone, tying Khorkina’s feat on UB. Although Khorkina also has an UB silver.

This was Simone’s EIGHTH World and Olympic BB medal. She’s closing in on Chusovitina 's 10 VT medals, the most for a single apparatus.

Simone was behind both Latynina (33 medals as Uncle Tim discovered and highlighted on GymCastic) and Scherbo (33 medals) heading into these Worlds. But now with 37 World and Olympic medals, Simone is officially the Most Decorated Gymnast of All Time. And leaves no doubt that she’s the GOAT 🐐 as well.

Flavia goes from 0 medals to winning both team and individual medals! So well deserved. Her gymnastics is what gymnastics should look like, especially on beam and floor.

Last edited:
Brazil finally getting it together for team finals was a real highlight. Hopefully the pressure of going into the Olympics as reigning team silver world medalists won’t get to them.

GB losing Gadirova really showed (again) how little depth they had.

Also, no WAG from a European country won. Single medal (not counting Frances TF bronze), which has to be a first

FIVE medals for Rebeca Andrade in a single Worlds! That’s Simone-like, and speaking of her, she also got 5. The two of them dominated.

The FOURTH World BB title for Simone! No one else has more than two.

7 World and Olympic FX titles for Simone, tying Khorkina’s feat on UB. Although Khorkina also has an UB silver.

This was Simone’s EIGHTH World and Olympic BB medal. She’s closing in on Chusovitina 's 10 VT medals, the most for a single apparatus.

Simone was behind both Latynina (33 medals as Uncle Tim discovered and highlighted on GymCastic) and Scherbo (33 medals) heading into these Worlds. But now with 37 World and Olympic medals, Simone is officially the Most Decorated Gymnast of All Time. And leaves no doubt that she’s the GOAT 🐐 as well.

Flavia goes from 0 medals to winning both team and individual medals! So well deserved. Her gymnastics is what gymnastics should look like, especially on beam and floor.
I also thought comparing to Sherbo was not fair as men have more apparatuses to win medals on. She still plowed his record !

Simone may OFFICIALLY now be the GOAT by medal count but I do hope she tries not to think about it until after Paris. The bedazzled goat leotards and lots of media exposure might have been fun last time around but I think they were distracting and also resulted in more pressure for her in Tokyo. This time I hope she lives in a bubble.

Simone may OFFICIALLY now be the GOAT by medal count but I do hope she tries not to think about it until after Paris. The bedazzled goat leotards and lots of media exposure might have been fun last time around but I think they were distracting and also resulted in more pressure for her in Tokyo. This time I hope she lives in a bubble.
That bedazzled shit was not fun last time, she shouldn’t have done it then and hopefully doesnt do it again. Save that stuff for when your career is over. Its a distraction and a weight on an athlete’s shoulders. Just work hard, have fun, and stay humble. Time for accolades and enjoying the fruits in retirement.

Last edited:
Really impressed by Alice Kinsella and Leanne Wong - so much grit to perform well when called on at the last moment.

I’m sad for GB WAG, but can’t disagree about how Gadirova being out reveals the lack of depth.

Incredibly happy for Flavia Saraiva! 😍

Both WAG and MAG feel like such exciting competitions now. There is some insane difficulty being shown, and more diversity in skill selection on floor, beam, as well as in style and presentation.

On beam, we saw Arabians, layout series, acrobatic mounts, Yurchenko loops as well as athletic and classical styles. I’m totally here for it.

It feels like Simone finally has some competition, too. Gadirova is coming for her on floor and Andrade in AA and Vault. Beam seems like the most competitive it’s been in decades. I’m looking forward to the next year!

Both WAG and MAG feel like such exciting competitions now. There is some insane difficulty being shown, and more diversity in skill selection on floor, beam, as well as in style and presentation.

On beam, we saw Arabians, layout series, acrobatic mounts, Yurchenko loops as well as athletic and classical styles. I’m totally here for it.

It feels like Simone finally has some competition, too. Gadirova is coming for her on floor and Andrade in AA and Vault. Beam seems like the most competitive it’s been in decades. I’m looking forward to the next year!
Biles’s EF wins were not comfortable by any means. She had to hit the beam routine of all beam routines to win gold there, and one more .3 step would have cost her floor gold. She’s obviously still the best, but Andrade, Gadirova, and Jones are going to keep her on her toes.

Simone also no longer has a touchdown-sized lead between her and 2nd place. It was less than 2 points between her and Andrade in the AA and mere tenths in the EFs even with her sticking her passes and not going OOB aside from that one .1 OOB. At this point, the only way she can increase her lead in the AA is to use the YDP as her main vault and not have Laurent on the podium. I don’t think she has much more in her in terms of upgrades, especially on UB and BB. Big hops on landings and going OOB like she’s prone to do can eat up her lead easily.

It’ll be difficult for Lee, Miller, or Blakely to best Biles on bars next year, especially if she adds the toe 1/1 + Fabrichnova. Biles may yet again be the USA’s second best medal prospect on bars. I’m so curious to see Douglas’ training.

It didn’t much matter, but I can’t help but think about how Chiles’ relative reliability would’ve come in handy here

Highlights: Biles being back, and being Biles. Truly a joy to be able to see her on the world’s stage again, and in such amazing shape.

The excitement has returned to the US men’s side of things! And they’re in a great position to prep well for Paris.

After sooooo many years of gymnastics being a stoic sport, I am LOVING the trend of now showing emotion, celebrating good routines, and pumping each other up as a team. It was so fun to watch the WAG TF where Brazil and France were going crazy with celebration. It’s refreshing!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back