2022 World Gymnastics Championships MAG All Around Final (Friday 11/04)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

4th place is tough but those top three were so good.

St Patricks Day Rainbow GIF by TipsyElves.com

Brody should have always been considered a legitimate contender for bronze, IDK why Spencer wouldn’t have listed him although he’s probably not staying all that plugged in on a personal standpoint for MAG.

I feel like it jinxes the American men if you consider them to be a legitimate medal threat. 🤷‍♀️ maybe next year.

I very rarely see MAG stuff on the BBS so you are probably right about Spencer.

Last edited:
If you look at TQ at the major championships for the last dozen or so years, the US often finishes in medal position because the better teams underperform. Then, TF comes around and Team USA underperforms or the teams they beat in TQ go back to their better selves and the US ends up in 4-6. If medals were awarded after TQ, I think the US would have quite a few.

Last edited:
It became the green “thumbs up” because 100% was considered too definitive but using “love” felt weird in some cases. 😉

Last edited:
Brody should have always been considered a legitimate contender for bronze, IDK why Spencer wouldn’t have listed him although he’s probably not staying all that plugged in on a personal standpoint for MAG.
I mean, Spencer only listed 5 guys by name:
We had a qualification surprise in the men’s all-around with Tanigawa Wataru placing first rather than heavy pre-meet favorites Zhang Boheng or Hashimoto Daiki. Still, those standings were heavily influenced by Zhang’s rings and vault falls and Hashimoto’s horse disaster, so theoretically we would expect the favorites to rebound and battle it out for gold and silver today.

Tanigawa, Carlos Yulo, Joe Fraser, and any number of others (depending on how much of a splatfest we have) are likely to fight it out for bronze.
Probably based on his qualifications and team finals performances to be honest.
Malone is usually consistent, so to see him having the issues that he had in TQ and TF, especially following back to back falls on floor.

Either way the 5 Spencer named were the top 5 in all around qualifications.

Either way the 5 Spencer named were the top 5 in all around qualifications.
Right, but see, this is not the same as having expert commentary/insights/opinions, it’s just looking at a spreadsheet… i think i’m just a tad disillusioned because he maybe gets more credence as a technical commentator than he deserves (but mainly this is just a foil to Jessica. and not to discredit his prolific blogging contributions). A Gymcastic listener today asked him to give specific E-score analysis related to the ~Gadirova controversy~, and he basically glossed over it, and it occurred to me that he doesn’t actually ever offer concrete analysis on scores. BUT THAT’S OK i guess. Infotainment! And thanks to Gymnaverse I get plenty of that from Yarotska and Doug et al. 😉

Last edited:
I really dislike the High Bar change this year that says “All Endo, Stalder, Weiler and Kip Elements with turn are divided up in two Elements except Stalder Rybalko.” Don’t know why they were intent on killing a bunch of skills like that. Also still haven’t ever been given a good explanation for why Toe-on’s aren’t allowed.

Malone had small landing mistakes on his PB dismount and possibly also his SR dismount but that was it, very different performance from TF. I’d be interested to know if his Mikulak was credited today. Asher was excellent until HB where he fell and then did that insane wrist catch posted above.

Last edited:
I have the AA on in the background atm. The “camera angle” they chose for Souza was diabolical.

I watched Zhang Boheng and Brody Malone’s routines. I was impressed.

That camera work was quite poor. The FIG shouldn’t give Eurosport a contract next time Europe hosts worlds.

If Eurovision is the distributor that usually does Europeans, they drive me crazy with their camera angles! So many useless overhead or zoomed-in shots, plus they do that thing where they rotate around the bars over the course of one routine which makes me dizzy.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back