2022 All Russia Spartakiad (Government sponsored competiton/Pro-Government message, NOT FIG or RGF sponsored meet)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

The scores seem so high they are bordering on trolling, Giving some of the highest E scores seen in the past few years to routines with obvious large errors even a non-gymnastics fan would recognize. I mean an 8.8 for that BB routine…8.8!!

I think if you’d asked us all in 2021, is Listunova going to end up using the Ghostbusters theme at some point, the answer would probably have been yes. Feels like fulfilment of destiny.

I don’t think there’s anything in the timing, it is usually late summer. But it’s not held every year, usually every 2/3 depending on the Olympic cycle

I know the most out of anyone generally, but no one ever bothers to ask.

I don’t expect the competition to be completely ignored, that would be weird. I just find the posting of videos and the discussion of it as if it was just a national competition to be extremely uncomfortable and contrasts starkly with the sentiments expressed in the Ukraine conflict thread and the general support for the international suspension of Russian athletes

Thanks. I’d have been surprised, but the timing did seem quite convenient.

general support for the international suspension of Russian athletes
We are all in favor of the international suspension.

We are gymnastics fans. One can condemn the Russian govt but also want to watch and critique the gymnastics routines of the reigning Olympic champions.

Maybe we can change the thread title to “Russian government propaganda gymnastics meet 2022” if you’re at all worried that people will infer that we are somehow supportive of the Russian invasion of Ukraine simply by the sheer existence of this thread?

Last edited:
I have a policy of not remarking on other users’ personality traits on Gymnaverse. It’s partly to maintain good decorum. It’s also because the last time I did it, I got owned.

As for the Spartakiad, I’m used to sport being integrated into Russian politics. So this meet seemed normal by Russian standards. But that’s why I refrained from discussing it here even though I saw a few videos.

I see no harm in adding a trigger warning to the thread title. People who do not wish to watch or participate can choose not to. Much how we have dealt with other difficult topics of the last few years.

I changed the title to acknowledge that this event is government sponsored and not sponsored by RGF or FIG.

We can critique and discuss the gymnastics routines while understanding this is a government sponsored meet and potentially politically motivated.

Let us keep the conversation in this thread focused specifically on the routines that are posted from social media.

I watched the Top 3 in AA finals but I didn’t score the routines. I’m guessing Melnikova won?

It’s also very interesting to see hardly any gymnasts reverting back to a straddled jaeger after spending the whole last quad doing it piked.

That move from D to E, and back to D, was a complete dud by the WTC.

Honestly I’m still uncertain why certain nations are suspended and other imperious ones ae not.

Listunova won the AA, Melnikova silver, Urazova bronze, Kustova fourth and still a junior

Listunova won the AA, Melnikova silver, Urazova bronze
The Russian judges LOVE Listunova. She fell on beam in the AA and they still gave it to her. I might have a crack at D and Eing the top 3 AA and see where I come out. Might be a good comparison too for Euros/World Cups.

They’ve never stopped propping up the local Moscow star. Melnikova fell onto the beam and definitely had her fair share of poor landings and missed connections. The two of them and Jones and McClain would put up such a good fight for silver and bronze AA at Worlds but alas.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back