2021 Euro Preview Thread and Discussion

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yes the spot would be Larisa’s and yes it would be a plus one for Ferrari.

She is blocking off the literal top of the table. Methinks she may have grown since Nats…

Yeah, there is definitely something wrong with the reach back or perhaps even the position of or on the board.

I’m almost glad to hear you say that. She was really far back at nationals too, and I was beginning to think I’d missed out on a vaulting update. WHY aren’t they adjusting for this?!

This is actually super dangerous.

So this is probably a dumb question, but what exactly does Larissa have to do to get the Tokyo ticket? Does she have to win the AA? Is it all or nothing? And I remember to have read here that AA final will be deciding, instead of qualifications. Is that correct?

I think she has to come top 2 of the girls that WERENT on a top 8 2019 Worlds team, excluding Melnikova. Right?

I seem to remember reading that it was qualifications that count for the individual spots. Clear as mud!
But yes, either way, in whichever countsm Larisa would need to finish in the top 2 of gymnasts who have not already qualified (or been part of a team that qualified). So, for example if the rankings went MDJDS, Melnikova, listunova, Kinsella, Steingruber, Iordache= then Iordache is the second eligible athlete and gets the spot.
But, if it goes Listunova, Ferrarri, Iordache, then Iordache is out of luck- both are eligible for those individual spots, as neither competed at worlds 2019.

Top 12 isn’t it? As the 9th to 12th teams at those worlds also qualified to the Olympics and 3 of them were European.

It is qualifications that count rather than the AA final, but there was some confusion because there were documents saying conflicting things for a time.

Yes my bad top 12.

And I have no fucking clue if it’s Qual or AA. I don’t think anyone does lol. FIG just change the rules as they go along.

I seem to remember reading that it was qualifications that count for the individual spots. Clear as mud!
But yes, either way, in whichever countsm Larisa would need to finish in the top 2 of gymnasts who have not already qualified (or been part of a team that qualified). So, for example if the rankings went MDJDS, Melnikova, listunova, Kinsella, Steingruber, Iordache= then Iordache is the second eligible athlete and gets the spot.
But, if it goes Listunova, Ferrarri, Iordache, then Iordache is out of luck- both are eligible for those individual spots, as neither competed at worlds 2019.
Yikes! I think I was under the impression, somehow, that Russia had already qualified their extra spot through… Hm. I guess I had not sorted that out.

Ferrari currently leads the FX standings from Apparatus World Cup (tied with Mori, but I think she wins the tiebreaker). So she could still qualify that way, yes? In that case, I want her AA to be below Iordache’s. Which, I am guessing, it probably will be.

Last edited:
Glad to see my question wasn’t so dumb after all. 😅 Thanks for all the quick responses. I really hope Larissa will make it.

It feels a bit arbitrary to distinguish between ‘part of the 2019 team’ and ‘new’, because it’s not like the first are guaranteed a spot on their Olympic team. But I guess that was what the “choose between the team- or individual route” was all about in the first place.

I think I was under the impression, somehow, that Russia had already qualified their extra spot through… Hm. I guess I had not sorted that out.
Denn, I believe Russia has a +1 by virtue of the AA world cup series being cancelled; FIG distributed those 3 spots to the countries that finished top three in qualification at 2019 worlds (so, USA, Russia, China). But no Russian WAG secured a +1 through the individual event world cup series, so Russia can potentially get an additional +1 at Euros.

Oh, right, yes, that’s what I was vaguely remembering. Thank you so much for spelling all that out, Robin — much appreciated

I gave up trying to keep track of all the qualification a while back, and I am kind of regretting it now. I just did some reading at Wikipedia, which says that the women’s spots are decided, except for Italy deciding on Mori vs. Ferrari, presumably because Ferrari might qualify at Euros, but that the men’s World cup apparatus positions are not decided yet except for Zapata qualifying on floor. I don’t understand that…

:vt: Jade Carey (USA)
:ub: Fan Yilin (China)
🇧🇧 Urara Ashikawa (Japan — apparently they counted her “win” in prelims at Baku in March 2020 and Emma Nedov, who had been leading the Balance Beam standings, got ousted.)
:fx: Lora Mori or Vanessa Ferrari (Italy), currently tied with one gold and two silvers each. I guess Italy hopes Ferrari gets an AA berth at Euros so they can send Mori. If she doesn’t, I wonder which gymnast they would send.

Attachments

• BB.gif
    BB.gif
    462 bytes · Views: 8
  • FM.gif
    FM.gif
    295 bytes · Views: 6
  • UB.gif
    UB.gif
    392 bytes · Views: 6
  • VT.gif
    VT.gif
    451 bytes · Views: 7
These +1 qualifications are gone after this quad hopefully. Byzantine rules just make the sport seem even more obscure, elitist and inaccessible.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back