What's your first Olympic gymnastics memory?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

They made Svetlana Boguinskaya sound so old!
At the 1989 Worlds, Silivas was presumed to be 19–little did the commentators know she was only 17–and they were going on and on about how now she’s getting to be too old lol

I remember the 96 Olympics as my first gym memory. I remember this moment, the floor rotation in the AA when Miller and Dawes where high up in the standings (I was sure one of them would win) but they fell and some other girl* won and I remember “Little Girls Dancing for Gold.”

I’m not really sure when Miller fell and lost the AA gold I was sure she could win, but I remember Dawes crying after floor. I bet I could find the AA to rewatch.
  • Thanks to YouTube, I have since figured out that “the other girl” was the glorious Lilia Pod.

Last edited:
Miller had that low chest and huge lunge forward out of the DLO. And then went OOB on her full in.

IIRC, in those days, an error that large meant you lost the element. I think she only got a 9.4 ish on floor when she was getting 9.8s domestically.

Last edited:
IIRC, in those days, an error that large meant you lost the element. I think she only got a 9.4 ish on floor when she was getting 9.8s domestically.
No she didn’t lose the element. Her FX would have been 9.575 without the OOP which is comparable to her TO routine that went 9.618

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 9.48.00 AM

She likely got:
.1 one step
.3 additional movements to maintain balance
That is 9.600 from 2 judges

then
.1 one step (right leg)
.3 additional movements to maintain balance
.05 unsureness (left leg tiny step forward)
which would be 9.550 from two other judges

the high and low score dropped I have no idea because it really can’t go above 9.600

9.600+9.600+9.550+9.550= 38.300/4= 9.575 plus .1 OOB= 9.475

The TO score baffles me and 9.618 is not the result of dividing by 4 so I wonder if they added the Control Panel score in and then divided to get 9.6175 which rounds to 9.618.
Which would make sense since there was a longer wait for her score.

IIRC the only way to lose value was if the element was not complete or a devalued vault (layout vs pike).
Example: Olga Yurkina underrotating her triple full and getting credit for 2 1/2 instead.

Last edited:
Amazing that you have a copy of that code.

When did the E Panel deduction start affecting the SV? Was is 1997-2000?

I remember how disastrously that rule affected McCool on beam. The medium wobble on the onodi meant she didn’t get the D, the CV for connecting it, and obviously she couldn’t connect it to the sheep. That series was the meat in her routine and without it she got like a 9.1 for a pretty good (otherwise) routine.

This was an “up to” deduction though. I doubt they took the whole of that 0.3, no?
I think so as it was a large lunge forward and she slightly stumbled. You can’t take only .1 for that step, but technically it was just one step with teeny tiny step with the other foot.
I am surprised she didn’t put a hand down, if you go slo mo you can see that she throws her arms back so she doesn’t

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 12.53.04 PM

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 12.53.24 PM

No she didn’t lose the element. Her FX would have been 9.575 without the OOP which is comparable to her TO routine that went 9.618
Miller ‘lost’ the double layout in the sense that it did not earn bonus. Under this COP, if a skill had 0.2 or more in deductions, it did not earn bonus. However, I believe she could still use the double layout as the required D element needed under Competition II / All-Around rules (no Ds were required under Competition Ib / Team optionals), which would have allowed her to still start from a 10.0 SV.

Last edited:
By 1996 I was on top of things enough to have the TV guide and know the schedule, so I recorded and watched everything.
How sad that I was wishing for something as simple as a TV guide to tell when the different sports were on. With the streaming being across 4 platforms/apps and 15 channels, it was very difficult to know when and where something was streaming without digging it out specifically. Even us trials for swimming and track used to be easy to find, but this year…

Isn’t it crazy that a Rudi and a DLO were worth the same back then!

And a Rudi was more than a Full In!!

Last edited:
FIG went all crazytown with encouraging front tumbling! I remember being a level 9 that quad and thinking “a front layout is a C? Easiest C ever!” Sure as hell beat trying to learn a double full (I was a shitty twister).

A bounder/flyspring was also initially a B, so you could earn 0.2 in connection bonus by performing it into a front full or Rudi. After the 1994 World Championships, it was devalued to an A (no longer CV eligible since it’s not a salto), and a Rudi downgraded from an E to a D.

It sounds ridiculous in retrospect, and they did overdo it. The straight front ever being a C was batshit. But the FIG had to do something, there was so little front tumbling in the 89-92 quad and so much in the way of bhs double back passes. It did increase the variety.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back