What will Simone do after gymnastics?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If they want to invest what they make now and do absolutely nothing for the rest of their lives; why not?
Because i think that wanting to “do absolutely nothing for the rest of their lives,” is just pretty aberrant for girls in their early 20s. To me thats not a free will choice but a signal of something having gone wrong. How do highly ambitious driven women turn into “I want to do nothing for the rest of my life”? A year or two, very understandable. But the rest of their lives??

My point was absolutely not everyone has to go to college and/or graduate school and become a doctor or a lawyer. You said you started and run a successful business. You found your calling, your niche. Thats terrific. Its what I think most happy well adjusted people strive for. Not “doing nothing for the rest of their lives.” At age 25. When basically their life has just begun.

Last edited:
Was Aly really ever famous? I mean to the non-gymnastics world, she is definitely not on the same level as Simone.
No. But what Aly has done to the point of almost brilliance is market herself well. And make friends in the worlds she seems to aspire to become part of. Media and politics. Unfortunately for her though, I doubt it will work long term.

If I was Simone, I’d bust the hell out of the next 3 years. marketing deals. appearances. fucking milk it. Try and make it to Paris. In the meantime, buy a ton of property. Residential. Business. Gymnastics Gyms. Franchise it. Lease it. And then sit on my passive income for the rest of my life and do charity work.

Demand for gymnastics clubs is pretty high - at least in the UK. I’ve heard there are wait lists for several months for 7 or 8 year olds to get into good gyms. And a “Simone Biles” gym. Sheesh. She could go nuts with it. And she could market it with higher ethical standards etc etc. Offer “scholarship” programs for low income families that show potential. I would go nuts.
Yes, but being a business person/philanthropist is a long way away from sitting around posting on Instagram and being an “influencer.”

I think you’re underestimating the work involved in being an influencer. It’s a business.

You’d call being a model a job. It’s not just standing around having your picture taken.

Last edited:
Plus if you want to be a philanthropist, the money for that has to come from somewhere. You can do philanthropy with cash you earned from posing and flogging crap on Instagram.

Maybe the trauma these women went through has done a number on some of them. But it’s just one factor. I think attention, fame, money, and skipping some of the things other people do at a certain life stage all have something to do with it.

Maybe the trauma these women went through has done a number on some of them. But it’s just one factor. I think attention, fame, money, and skipping some of the things other people do at a certain life stage all have something to do with it.
Agree with all of this. Its very hard even for an adult (I am thinking of pro ball players) to transition out of being a star in something to being a more “ordinary” person. Add to that youth, trauma (think of what happened to many child film and tv stars)

Yeah, but I wouldn’t call being a model a job someone should aspire to, most big models were ‘discovered’ at a young age because of their looks. But for an adult to actively seek out a career based entirely on your appearance and focus solely on that is setting yourself up for misery.

Yeah, but I wouldn’t call being a model a job someone should aspire to, most big models were ‘discovered’ at a young age because of their looks. But for an adult to actively seek out a career based entirely on your appearance and focus solely on that is setting yourself up for misery.
All depends on what kind of modeling. If you are looking for high fashion/ haute coutre that is one thing. But models are needed for a variety of products.

I feel like there is a prevailing sense in this thread that people are defined by their jobs, and that some jobs are not worthy. That seems like a very narrow world view (but a very western one). Is it really so sad for a former gymnast to become a coach, a gymn judge, a housewife, a commentator, or have a career in speaking or influencing? Should we all be buisinesspeople, lawyers, doctors, teachers? Are we a failure as a person if we don’t? What if what fits a certain individual does not fit another in regards to skills, talents, and inclinations? We have a huge chunk of a whole generation in debt because we told them the only way to be a success in life was to go to college and find the self-defining job that would supposedly pay them back for all their time, effort, and money. Yes, most of these gymnasts in this thread are fortunate in that they won’t have to go into debt to get that education, but we are still defining them by their money earning endeavors. There’s more to a person than simply how they pay the bills. If Aly wants to become an advocate, is that not a worthy endeavor? If Simone wants to use her voice in various ways, is that not a worthy endeavor?

This is very true. We’ve already seen situations where the gymternet has criticised a gymnast’s choices or actions and only later learned the full story. Might be worth keeping in mind that we might be missing critical pieces of the puzzle.

This is very true. We’ve already seen situations where the gymternet has criticised a gymnast’s choices or actions and only later learned the full story. Might be worth keeping in mind that we might be missing critical pieces of the puzzle
I do not think it was anyone’s intent to criticize people’s choices here. It certainly was not mine. And i do think rlayt made some very astute comments. Which kind of underscore my own point which may have been misunderstood. Anyway . . . . .

Fair enough. I remember some people being really hard on Carly for retiring immediately after Athens, before people realised her back was wrecked. And McKayla got criticised for posting racy photos, and then we learned she is a sexual abuse survivor. Stuff like that. I take your point though - maybe I should be more careful in my wording. How about just saying that decisions that seem incomprehensible might make a lot more sense if we had all the relevant information?

Yes. Exactly.

Btw, I found Mackaylas photos disturbing too. But I knew back to London 2012 she was being sexually abused. It seemed obvious to me. I just suspected the wrong person. I thought it was Artur.

Look, my larger point in all of this is that elite gymnastics is a whole system which screws young women up. In a variety of ways. (Including drastically limiting their visions for their futures).

And NO this is not a narrow minded “Western” assumption that only people with high levels of education and professional credentials have real value. It is, however, a rather obvious I would think, conclusion that when the substantial majority of young women from a sport now widely understood as having serious abusive aspects to it, limit their choices for future life so drastically and in fact so narrowly, there is something wrong)

Last edited:
What made you know that? Just curious.
Well, I should not have used the word “knew.” I did not know. But I had a very strong hunch. Just watching her behavior at the Olympics. And for sure the post Olympic behavior. It was just intuitive. (Which is a skill I relied on all of my professional life so I trust it almost 100%). But I was totally wrong about the perpetrator.

I hope she goes to college. I think that is something a good role model should do. But I get that she wants to live for herself and not for other people, not for the opinion of people who don’t know her. On the other hand, if a person doesn’t want to be in the public eye, they could remove themselves from the publicity of things like tours and social media.
Simone will be fine she will probably be an influencer or something. If MLR, Nastia, Gabby and Shawn can make a career of just being themselves I’m sure Simone can.
Shawn isn’t someone who I would consider the poster child for making it without a college education. She depends heavily on people who have an education and work experience. It’s true she didn’t go to college, but her husband has an undergrad degree in civil engineering, an MBA, and he inherited a family business (beekeeping and selling honey). Even though she didn’t go to college, much of her current success as a YouTuber is due to her husband who has an education and seems to be editing and producing their YouTube videos. I think her father and maybe father-in-law, too, are building contractors, and her father helped with some of their home renovations. It seems like her parents babysit for their children sometimes.

There are other YouTubers who are in front of the camera, creative, artistic, traveling, gaining recognition, while their husbands are like electricians and working in the background, with far less recognition if any, holding down the business, and their relatives who maintain their merchandise website and do their accounting.

It’s like the quote in the advertisement for the PBS show “Escape to the Chateau” where the woman says something like “behind every romantic tale is the reality.”

Another example of where it seems like someone made it just by being themselves was Elizabeth Gilbert’s book, “Eat, Love, Pray”, which could alternatively have been titled “How I got by on a trust fund life style with a $200K advance from my publisher and my aunt and uncle who supported all of the logistics of my travel adventures.”

That said, if they save a few million dollars, they can probably live on 3 to 4% interest pretty comfortably. But it seems like that describes only one or two gymnasts per quad. I once met a formerly professional tennis player who had a knee injury, which derailed his career and he was working at a minimum wage job. Labor statistics say that people who go to college earn more than people who don’t. An education also gives you a more fulfilling intellectual life. Less education usually equals more boring, repetitive, menial, tedious, underpaid work. A lot of employers in the hiring process sort resumes by degree, and the applicants without a degree are on the bottom of the pile. Which is not to say that people with higher degrees are always good to work with or get along with, or that some highly educated people aren’t narrowly educated.

College is no guarantee of a good job, and it is expensive, but in the long run, not going to college is usually more expensive.

Last edited:
I mean, don’t we all rely on people with degrees?

The thing you’re reading this on was invented by one!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back