What was your first gymnastics memory?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

allaround

There’s a thread on “What’s your first Olympic gymnastics memory?” but what about your first memory that has anything to do with gymnastics? Was it watching a televised competition? Was it seeing gymnastics live? Was it your own training or an older sibling? Share the first time you discovered gymnastics.

Honestly? I’m very sure it was in an episode of Arthur. One where D.W. watches gymnastics on TV and wants to try it herself and then eventually starts doing cartwheels at the supermarket and crashing into the shelves.

I love this! I’m pretty sure it was “Tumbling Tots” classes for me. They would haul equipment into my preschool each week and set up little circuits.

In my family I never had the tv controller. My first was still Olga but it was Nadia, the same age as me, who really piqued my interest.

Last edited:
For me, more than Olga Korbut and Nadia Comaneci, it is Shannon Miller. Shannon ROCKED at Barcelona 1992 and Atlanta 1996 !

José M.

I was young and my Mom put me in a gymnastics class… but it was with all girls. I wanted to quit… so I think my Mom talked to the owner. He came over and had me climb a rope. I got moved to the boys class / pre-team program and it was much more fun and I didn’t want quit anymore.

My first memories probably involve Nadia at the 1976 Olympics. I might have watched some gymnastics on TV before that, but she left the strongest impression.

Learning to do front rolls down the vault runway as a five-year-old, and feeling impatient that we weren’t doing flips or swinging from the bars. That was both the beginning and the end of my gymnastics career.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back