Were the Mag 7 favored to win the gold in 1996?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Ukraine only had one ‘name’ on their team, and didn’t get the same sympathetic judging that Romania and the US did. That being said, nor did Russia really. There are several routines from the aforementioned two that really aren’t justifiable in comparison to other routines, like Phelps on compulsory beam, Milosovici on compulsory bars and Miller on beam in the AA compared to eg Galieva. Not so for other teams. There also isn’t a Romanian or American equivalent of the way Khorkina’s superiority on bars wasn’t recognised.

China didn’t get much in the way of top team help either, but it’s a harder one to call with them because of not competing in the final optionals session and them tanking or at least partially fucking up so many of what should’ve been their highest scoring routines. So little data to go on.

There are individual routines of Podkopayeva’s that people complained about, like AA bars, but I think that was more of a judging of the times than a specific overscore. Like Gogean on beam for example. She did get treated like the world AA champion, but I wouldn’t say any more so than other highly decorated athletes.

Were there specific routines you were thinking of?

I’m somewhat familiar with the 1993-1996 COP and am happy to review routines if you have any particular comparisons in mind.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back