WCC Coaches

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Passion

Reaction score
They brought Marnie Futch from Metroplex to coach Roberson while the Landis are both in the Village with Biles and Chiles.

roberson coach.png

These guys are all just BFFs and she wasn't going to pass up a free trip to Paris, or is this a clue to who the new coach at WCC might be?

I'm leaning towards she's just being helpful myself, but is it possible? Metroplex and WCC are about 4 hours apart so she'd still have to relocate, but would stay in the same state.

Marnie has left Metroplex before. She was at Texas Dreams for a while, then when back to Metroplex. So I wouldn't be shocked if she left again, but also maybe this is just her doing another coach a favor and getting to go to the Olympics.

I do have to admit, I'm very curious as to why it's Marnie. Of all the coaches with elites in the US, why her?

She may be someone Josc has liked working with at camps and was also available to leave her job and family for at least a couple of weeks--it's an awesome experience, but it's also no small time commitment.

Do the alternates just stop training and enjoy the vacation after they can no longer be subbed in, or do they move to reduced, off-season workouts?

Marnie has left Metroplex before. She was at Texas Dreams for a while, then when back to Metroplex. So I wouldn't be shocked if she left again, but also maybe this is just her doing another coach a favor and getting to go to the Olympics.

I do have to admit, I'm very curious as to why it's Marnie. Of all the coaches with elites in the US, why her?
Metroplex has always struck me as having fairly mediocre elites.

The original announcement letter from April:

wcc.png

They started the search for a new head coach over 4 months ago in mid-April. They said they didn't want to rush to their June 1st deadline, but we are now nearly 3 months past that. As far as I know there's been no new updates since, and Cecile has now left for Georgia.

So what's going on? Not enough high level coaches willing to relocate? Or maybe they already have someone but it needs to be kept quiet until they finish at their current job, but then why would that be taking so long? It's the off season for club gym, there's no better time than summer to make a move.

What elites are left at WCC for 2025? They had last year:

Simone Biles - retired or at least taking '25 off
Jordan Chiles - left for UCLA
Joscelyn Roberson - left for Arkansas
Zoe Miller - left for Metroplex
Tiana Sumanasekera - graduates 2025 (UCLA)
Brooke Pierson - graduates 2025 (Clemson)
Dulcy Caylor - graduates 2026
Nicole Desmond - graduates 2026
Reese Esponda - graduates 2027

and no junior team. So there are at least five senior elites remaining for this season, down to three after Laurent leaves (four if Biles returns.)

They only have Laurent for the next 9 months or so because he's moving to Georgia as soon as their daughter graduates high school this spring, per Cecile.

Last edited:
Reese and Nicole were training at Brandy Johnsons this summer.

Word is that the coaches they had lined up, backed out or fell through.

It’s a job that not everyone would want, but a job that unexpected people might not be able to resist.

Imo, they need someone who can coach bars to a high standard, not just a good standard. That has been a big selling point for them, and a big part in several of the elite transfers they’ve received.

I wonder who and what fell through

Who is really out there to be snatched up, though? The Landi’s were a unique situation in that they were not head coaches but had huge successes at WOGA that made the move a natural progression. Maybe Brian Carey?

It’s a job that not everyone would want, but a job that unexpected people might not be able to resist.

Imo, they need someone who can coach bars to a high standard, not just a good standard. That has been a big selling point for them, and a big part in several of the elite transfers they’ve received.

I wonder who and what fell through
Im hearing they were international coaches, so think European countries

I think June 1 was always unrealistic. For someone with significant Level 10 responsibilities, that season doesn't end until mid-May. Those coaches aren't starting their job search until after nationals--and honestly, they're probably going to take a couple weeks after nationals.

For elite coaches, obviously their schedule is even less conducive to June 1.

As others said, there's a limited number of high end coaches out there looking for jobs, domestic or international. There's even fewer elite coaches who don't own their own gyms, at least domestically. And of those, Brian Carey's the only one with world and Olympic success.

Random question, but how much do team coaches typically make? Is it more at the elite level vs jo? Does it go up significantly at the bigger gyms with more elites? I worked as a rec coach while in grad school and the pay was hilarious. I couldn’t imagine it being sustainable for a lot of people unless they have partners with bigger incomes.

Why in the world would they leave France and Algeria? They have two of the best juniors in Francw right now and rumour is - the old guard is getting tossed out and FFGym will have new leadership soon.
Well that would make sense that they would stay if there is a leadership change, but MDJDS trained at WCC and were they actually going to let his top juniors compete for France as a senior?

Interesting. I hope France does make a change.

I'm not in a big money market, I get paid decent for what I do, but thankfully my husband makes more and we have no kids to spend money on. If I was single, I don't know if I could afford everything on my income alone. My money usually pays for groceries, car, cell phone and we split up the vacation costs. Right now it's paycheck to paycheck. During competition season I make twice as much because we get paid extra for those weekends.

We had a coach come in from NY and ask for 50,000 and we had to laugh. No way in our area would anyone make that.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back