Training Watch

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I can’t wait to see video.

It was better than I expected. It was honestly a better entry/block than Skinner’s Cheng, better than Wong’s Pod. She has a surprisngly good layout position. She does 1/2 ons way better than normal yurchenko imo. What’s a layout pod (lopez?) worth in the new CoP? Her Cheng seems more realistic than Wongs.

Last edited:
^Aren’t vault d-scores just like a 3.0 across the board now?

I was literally waiting for Leanne like “oh it’ll be interesting to see how it compares in amplitude to Suni” and it wasn’t even close. But Leanne has a lovely pike shape, even if it wasn’t as laid out as it’s been in the past.

Pretty good. She is going to need more power and push off the horse to get the extra full twist in.
However, if she is aiming for elite this year it will be a great vault to use as it is just .2 below the DTY. Also this vault is safer for her to do than the DTY which we knew she struggled with.

Much better than I thought it would be.

I wonder if she’s given up the DTY now in favour of this, should she continue in elite.

I hope she keeps upgrading each week.

Like, next week, can she do a tucked front full?

Then a tucked layout full?

etc.

I appreciate how comfortable she is playing around with her routine composition. She’s done multiple bar routines as well. It’s nice seeing the 2020 elites venture away from the cookie-cutter auto-9.95 compositions they could be doing.

Eh, I’d say Wong is still a stronger vaulter than Lee overall, and here’s a video of her training a Cheng in 2020, which looked pretty promising:

Not saying they can’t both do the vault, but Suni’s gonna have to get a substantially different front block to do the 1.5 twist.

I think Suni needs to be more consistent about being quicker to the block, but I do think that she’s shown the potential to build on the vault.

Having looked at Suni’s most recent attempts at the Lopez, I have to agree with you. Wong is a stronger vaulter for sure, but I feel like she comes on to the table a little high/crooked at times which is why her Pod doesn’t seem to get much height. Lee comes on squarer to the table imo, even though her vault is flat.

I don’t think either of them are capable of doing the Lopez in competition, probably why Wong’s never materialized outside of training. Watching her Cheng, it feels like watching a ball dropped mid-air compared to other Cheng’s that get lift off the table.I don’t think she’d have anywhere near the height to get it around safely on comp surface.

Last edited:
Suni has been competing the Lopez in college for the last several weeks. Some weeks have shown more power than others, though I will say the landings have been better on the less powerful ones. Perhaps she is toning it down some for the landing.

I agree. The debut Lopez was the best imo since she wasn’t focused on trying to stick.

It’s a shame we probably won’t get to see that competed. It’s Nekrasova and she’s apparently retiring.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back