REWIND : Week One 23/09 : 1998 Goodwill Games

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What stands out for me is that this is the closest Moceanu got to hitting this UB routine (she missed both days at Nationals), which was one of the best routine constructions of that quad IMO. The toe-on from the Pak salto was before its time (revived for 2000), and I loved the dismount sequence.

Was there a qualification round for this competiton? Bart says during Khorkina’s beam that it’s finals only and gymn forum only shows the results for the finals.

If no prelims, did USA have a selection meet to decide who would be on this team doing what events? I’m wondering how Moceanu and Sapunar ended up being the two in the AA final.

There was no qualification or team event.
Instead they had finals only, athletes were invited for their particular events or AA. Instead of team, they had a mixed pairs competition.

USAG did not hold a selection meet. IIRC (and its been what 24 years?) Sapunar was not originally supposed to compete but ended up subbing in for an injured athlete. I think it was originally Jennie Thompson and then she couldn't compete so club mate Sapunar went instead.

AA: Moceanu, Sapunar
VT: Atler
UB: Dawes, Ray
BB: Maloney
FX: Atler
Mixed Pairs (2 nights Prelims, Finals):
Dantzscher was paired with David Kruse (13th) eliminated after prelims round 1
Dawes was with Chainey Humphrey (9th) eliminated after prelims round 2
Antolin was with Jay Thorton (11th) eliminated after prelims round 2
So USA sent no pairs to finals in night 2.

This was Moceanu's 1st competition since Worlds and so her performance was really a huge surprise that night. Her 9.600 on bars was gigantic and she had the lead after the first rotation. Given that she barely got out of the 8's in Lausanne, this routine was such a major improvement. Then she unveiled the layout cuervo vault at the end. It was a great night for her. I remember that in interviews in 1999 after her emancipation, she said her mother gave her back her GWG gold and that she cherished that medal the most, not only as her first major international AA win but because of the dedication she had made to comeback to World class form.

Last edited:
Dear god, Produnova's vaults were hideous. It is so strange that the gymnast with far and away the best single vault performance on the old horse was a... bad vaulter.

Bart and Kathy were the real stars of this competition. Their commentary was 100% on point. They didn't hesitate to call certain skills (or the execution thereof) flat-out ugly. This meet also marked Bart's iconic announcement that Produnova had "muscles in her hair."

Moceanu was so good here. I didn't really like her in 1994-96, but this competition provided a glimpse of her true potential. It's a shame that injuries and so-called adults obstructed the rest of her career.

Khorkina was still watchable. I guess she didn't jump the shark until 2001 or so.

Bart and Kathy were the real stars of this competition. Their commentary was 100% on point. They didn't hesitate to call certain skills (or the execution thereof) flat-out ugly. This meet also marked Bart's iconic announcement that Produnova had "muscles in her hair."

Moceanu was so good here. I didn't really like her in 1994-96, but this competition provided a glimpse of her true potential. It's a shame that injuries and so-called adults obstructed the rest of her career.

Khorkina was still watchable. I guess she didn't jump the shark until 2001 or so.
They seemed really well informed on all the gymnasts and their styles and routines. No filler, lots of explanations. I loved this commentary.

They were absorbed in the gymnastics as well - I enjoyed their simultaneous gasps at Moceanu's straight-legged landing on her first vault.

Jump the shark?

USAG did not hold a selection meet. IIRC (and its been what 24 years?) Sapunar was not originally supposed to compete but ended up subbing in for an injured athlete. I think it was originally Jennie Thompson and then she couldn't compete so club mate Sapunar went instead.

AA: Moceanu, Sapunar
VT: Atler
UB: Dawes, Ray
BB: Maloney
FX: Atler

The original assignments differed from the actual competition as follows:

1. Kendall Beck - Balance Beam
2. Kristen Maloney - Floor Exercise
3. Dawes - Mixed Pairs only (The U.S. got a second spot due to a withdrawal, possibly Karpenko.)

I wish Meng Fei had gotten bronze over Amanar. I never knew she competed a punch front 1/2 on beam. Really gorgeous routine until the dismount.
Meng Fei was amazing.

Do we know why she wasn't in Atlanta? In the GWG coverage they mention her not making the team. I had it in my head she was injured.

I think Meng Fei might have been injured in 1996, but I don't really remember. China's talent pool was so deep then that it's altogether possible she didn't make the cut.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back