Women team: did not qualify for the final
Women individual all around: did not qualify for the final
Vault: did not qualify for the final
Uneven bars: did not qualify for the final
Balance Beam: did not qualify for the final
Floor: did not qualify for the final

Tokyo 2020 - Japan
Women team: 5th
Women Individual all around: 5th (Mai Murakami)
Balance beam: 6th (Urara Ashikawa)
Floor: bronze (Mai Murakami)

Rio 2016 - Brazil
Women team: 8th
Women individual all around: 11th (Rebeca Andrade)
Balance Beam: 5th (Flávia Saraiva)

London 2012 - Great Britain
Women team: 6th
Women individual all around: 13th (Rebecca Tunney)
Uneven bars: bronze (Beth Tweddle)

Beijing 2008 - China
Women team: Gold
Women individual all around: Bronze (Yang Yilin)
Vault: Bronze (Cheng Fei)
Uneven Bars: Gold (He Kexin)
Balance Beam: Bronze (Cheng Fei)
Floor: 4th (Jiang Yuyuan)

Athens 2004 - Greece
Women individual all around: 15th (Stefani Bismpikou)

Sydney 2000 - Australia
Women individual all around: 8th (Lisa Skinner)
Floor: 7th (Lisa Skinner)

Of that list, it's really only China who have lived up to potential. Maybe Bismpikou in 2004.

I know Tweddle getting the first WAG medal in 2012 was huge and there was a collective outpouring of relieved joy. But only finishing 6th was a missed opportunity. Japan in 2021 is borderline. Another example of the beloved veteran finally getting her Olympic medal at the very last chance, but could've hoped for more on beam and in TFs.

Athens 2004 - Greece
Women individual all around: 15th (Stefani Bismpikou)
Greece did not have a full team in Athens.
The last time they fielded a full team was in Atlanta.

Of that list, it's really only China who have lived up to potential. Maybe Bismpikou in 2004.

I know Tweddle getting the first WAG medal in 2012 was huge and there was a collective outpouring of relieved joy. But only finishing 6th was a missed opportunity. Japan in 2021 is borderline. Another example of the beloved veteran finally getting her Olympic medal at the very last chance, but could've hoped for more on beam and in TFs.
The way GB chose that team still frosts my cookies.

Same. Imogen Cairns taken to fill a beam hole, ladies and gentlemen.
I thought Cairns was there for vault and did beam because Beth did not.

Imogen had the highest beam score of the team in team qualifications, so I assumed they put her In TF because she hit in TQ. IIRC. She hit again in TF.

Imogen had the highest beam score of the team in team qualifications, so I assumed they put her In TF because she hit in TQ. IIRC. She hit again in TF.
Cairns only had a 1.5, Downie was left at home with a DTY. Nush was also the best beamer in the country but was also left home. IIRC they based the team selection off of one competition without taking prior record into account at all.

Id be curious to see the results of the US in Atlanta in comparison. The anomaly to me isn't that China dominates this list for 2008, but that they haven't been able to replicate those results since to my knowledge

Atlanta 1996 - USA:
Women team: 1st
Women individual all around: 8th (Miller), 9th (Moceanu), and 17th (Dawes)
Vault: 6th (Dawes), 8th (Miller)
Uneven bars: 2nd (Chow), 4th (Dawes)
Balance Beam: 1st (Miller), 6th (Moceanu)
Floor: 3rd (Dawes), 4th (Moceanu)

LA 2028 will be exciting to see if USA WAG can equate/surpass Atlanta's results. Part of it will depend upon whether or not Russia will be there.

I’d argue that was a slight underperformance, mostly due to Bela overworking Moceanu to injury just like he did to Kimbo in Barcelona.

It’s such a lol to me that Shannon made so many vault finals and never bothered to learn a proper 2nd vault.

LA 2028 will be exciting to see if USA WAG can equate/surpass Atlanta's results. Part of it will depend upon whether or not Russia will be there.
This is really contingent on who sticks around. The long careers have really hid it, but the depth in the under 18 crowd is sorely lacking.

I’d argue that was a slight underperformance, mostly due to Bela overworking Moceanu to injury just like he did to Kimbo in Barcelona.

It’s such a lol to me that Shannon made so many vault finals and never bothered to learn a proper 2nd vault.

Shannon was 2 per'ed in Atlanta. But Strug's injury meant she was in yet another final.

The US will win team in Olympic LA 2028 if they find another Simone Biles/Gabby Douglas that time. And Simone Biles may still compete at age 31.

Tweddle, Whelan and Tunney, in that order, were all rightfully locks. That did leave a beam hole. Vault wasn't too much of a problem, since Tunney had a DTY and Whelan a strong 1.5 so they only needed one more.

My personal choice for the final two would've been Nush and Becky. However, Danusia's whole argument for the team was that her one event was the one where the team were worst and she was rock solid. There were others on the team who could outscore her when they hit, but it was anyone's guess whether they would. So it wasn't a great help when she fell at the British championships just before selection, and the rest of them hit their annual beam set that day. That, plus the fact that Pinches was evidently favoured and had a DTY, weakened Nush's case. She never got any grace from BG, and she'd given them a reason.

Imogen over Becky, though, was still an odd choice for the gaps they had. Sure, they did end up using Imogen on vault in TFs, but with Whelan a lock they didn't need to. Imogen only got 14.2 in TFs, which is several tenths lower than Hannah in prelims. This lineup meant they also had to put up Hannah on bars too, which wasn't ideal. Her scoring potential was much lower than Becky's. Imogen did hit beam in TFs, but it's not like she was any more reliable than any of the others going in. It was a punt. They'd have had to put her up whatever had happened in qualifying.

Whelan was doing a DTY in London, IIRC.
But was shaky on it. Didn't she get a 0.0 for her DTY in the AA because she missed and didn't hit feet first or am I making that up?

I can't find any video, but yes, Whelan scored a zero. Thanks to this old reddit thread for confirming that:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back